Big mahalo to George Bush!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ARRRGGHHH. Drew!! name me a day...next week (I could maybe even take the girls on Sunday) to take pictures...I want pup pictures too

It does show how forward thinking W's is, as well as the depth of his insite.

I'm still waiting for him to open it for oil exploration. That's his goal for every Coastal reserve in the country. Kudos for signing, but balance it against everything else he's done to the environment.

Larry C:
I'm still waiting for him to open it for oil exploration. That's his goal for every Coastal reserve in the country. Kudos for signing, but balance it against everything else he's done to the environment.

I'm sure those guys would love to do that but with "Monument" status, that would be pretty hard to do. He hasn't got the time, nor the poll numbers, for a fight like that. Thank goodness.

So, I guess now it stands at...

Environment - 1

Bush cronies - 675,468.239,019

This is the result of the work of a lot of great people. Not one of them is George Bush.

That said, I am very glad to see this area elevated in status. It should be a National Park or a Marine Wilderness area (do they exist?) as far as I am concerned. NWHI is one of the world's great treasures.

72.gif

Tis a great thing "Dubyah" did (even though I don't like him)

Now if we could only get the totally incompetent Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) of the State of Hawaii to do something about the condition of the near-shore reefs statewide.

I understand that natural causes contribute to this deterioration but two of the major correctible sources responsible for "strip mining" these reefs is near-shore net fishing and commercial aquarium fish collection. Nearly 1 million fish a year are collected and exported for aquarium use, the primary specimen being the Yellow Tang.

I have dove on Maui for 13 years and have noticed a steady decline in the reef fish. Hawaii is the only state left that allows the setting of unattended monofilament gill nets. The collateral damage from them is inexcusable. As for commercial aquarium collection, the mortality rate on the consumer end has got to be near 100% in a relativelly short period of time. The demand/supply rate is too high to be attributed to that many new marine aquarists.

JDog:
Can we still dive Midway?

It is my inderstanding the only dive operator on Midway is owned and operated by Midway Phoenix Corp., which maintains and operates the atoll for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Sales and marketing for the dive operation are based in Hawaii.

Their website is here

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Is this sarcastic? I sure hope so, in which case your misspelling of "insight" is downright funny as hell. :wink:

Pretty awful spelling that for sure but I meant insight and I meant what I said.

Back
Top Bottom