Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Not For Me

Votes: 62 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In practice I actually have a smaller knife on my BC inflator hose and another tucked away in a pocket. But my stance is neutral because I don't really care what others do. If you fee the need to carry a big knife, have at it.

When I first moved to California in the 60s and knew I would be diving with great whites, I bought the biggest, meanest Jim Bowie of a dive knife I could. Never once ran into a GWS. Now the cutting tool I usually dive with is either a pair of shears or a small BCD knife. The big knives are just another object kelp can getr entangled on.

I carry the tool I need. For most diving that means a small blade attached to the waist strap of my BCD, where I can reach it easily with either hand. For some dives ... if I anticipate I might need a larger blade ... I own one I will stuff into my drysuit pocket. For a winter project I've been working on (and almost finished with) I've had it strapped to a sling I'm using to haul rather large rocks from one location to another.

Bring the tool you need for the job. If you don't need a large knife, why carry one? If you do ... or think you might ... why wouldn't you want to??

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Neutral.
I've used a big knife as a marker, pry bar, and basic utility tool on some dives. It came in real handy when I had to do a secondary wrap on a scientific transect in the sand. Just stuck my knife into the sand, wrapped the meter tape around it and went off. Kept the transect relatively straight in the surge.

I don't dive with it now though, because the times where I've actually needed to use it for purposes other than cutting has been little. I don't prefer the bulk at all times.

I would carry a FBK if they weren't so clumsy. I have a Green River which is great but is a bulky thing that is now relegated to garden duties.

I carry a small (3") knife and an Eezycut. They are for entanglement emergencies, not general tools. If I need a specific tool for a dive, I will carry it. For instance, when I need to pry something, I carry my crow-bar..it does a better/quicker/easier job. If I need to cut metal, I carry metal snips. etc etc

Neutral. Use what you works for you.

Back
Top Bottom