BIG KNIFE or little knife ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't imagine why you might need more than a small knife diving in Coz. The BFK's just are not well received in Coz. At least the ones I have been around the DM's have asked that they remain on the boat.

It's not true that you can't cut line well with a knife, if you have a line cutter on your knife, that is a small half-moon cutting edge usually at the base of the knife, cuts line like butter, and a big knife with this design cuts line better than a small one anyday Z

Many divers wear dry suits in Monterey Bay. After encounters of the kelp forests during my ow certification, I bought a serrated blunt tip small dive knife to cut off the kelp tangled around the equipments especially to the fins and regulator & tank when you're dragging the kelp and couldn't get out of it like got caught in the kelp WEB. Dive knife is the rescue. Of course, you can break it by your two hands cuz kelp stems are fragile like vegetables. Have to be careful with dry suited divers around. :)

Hello my name is Eric. I like knives. I like big knives. I especially like COLD STEEL knives but the high carbon content makes them very poor salt water diving knives. Currently I have a small 4" blade Blackie Collins (gift). It is very seratted with a line cutter. I intend to trade up as my recent move to Fort Pierce has me thinking of undertaking spearfishing. I would love a titanium knife but most are only statinless Steel coated with titanium. The SOG Seal knife is like that. The only true Titanium one I have seen is the Misison K but it is around $300.00, too much to lose. everyone seems rather caught up on the big knives. I prefer a big knife I concure with the others that a big knife (6"- 7" blade) is nice and that the little ones are handy. As with any other equipment you have it is a matter of preference. The itty bitty ones on the inflator hose (2" blade) is better than none but just barely. Besides when I find that treasure chest from the 1715 fleet I want to be able to get it open. :D

I use a medium 4 inch blade blunt tipped, serrated, line notched knife it is a rescue knife for white water kayakers Made by gerber. It has a very good sheath that bolts to the right shoulder of my BCD. I can reach it with the right or left hand. It will cut me out of any entanglement problem. It is very water resistant, better than some of the little BC knives I have had, that were for diving.

I have a bungee cord through the lanyard loop in the handle that is held out of the way by a thin bungee wrapped around the sheath. I first pull out the wrist bungee then put my hand through it before pulling it from the sheath.

I use to work in a very high entanglement environment and know of a diver that got tangled up, and sucked his tank empty in 15 minutes at 30 foot. In the investigation they found he had dropped his knives after cutting himself half way out of his mess, then sucked the tank dry while getting more tangled up.

If you get tangled, make sure you can’t drop your knife working your way out. :worried:

A second knife or shears are a good idea, I carry a pair in the Zeagle sheath in my pocket on my dry suit.

Orlando Eric once bubbled...
I like big knives. I especially like COLD STEEL knives but the high carbon content makes them very poor salt water diving knives.

I am a knife aficionada like yourself. I attended the Spirit of Steel show in Mesquite yesterday and spoke to Sal Glesser of Spyderco. They had a prototype model folder called the Salt on display that has a modified 3" sheepfoot blade (blunt tip) made of H1 steel. H1 has a high nitrogen content and has proven to be extremely corrosion resistant. The handle is fibreglass reinforced nylon and it has the coated SS clip like many Spydercos. The Spyderco hole has been enlarged to facilitate use with diving gloves. The Salt would make an good back-up for divers like you and I and could be carried in a BC pocket or clipped to your gear. Other folks may feel comfortable with something unobtrusive like a folder. The Salt should be on the streets before Christmas.

I carry an old Dacor BFK strapped to the inside of my calf and have also used the Boker Orca. I have used the blunt tipped Dacor often in Okinawa. At that time I was more of a hunter and collector and helped on a few archeological digs where a dependable good sized knife was a necessity. I also carry a smaller backup attached to my BC. I am one of those who maintain a knife is a tool and I use it as such. Like the rest of my dive tools, I care more about functionality than either fashion or political correctness. I would rather have a knife (irregardless of size) and not need it than need a knife and not have it.

tj

Orlando Eric once bubbled...
I would love a titanium knife but most are only statinless Steel coated with titanium. The SOG Seal knife is like that. The only true Titanium one I have seen is the Misison K but it is around $300.00, too much to lose. everyone seems rather caught up on the big knives. I prefer a big knife I concure with the others that a big knife (6"- 7" blade) is nice and that the little ones are handy.

I was going to keep this secret to myself, check these out:

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=big+mo+knife

I just got a sharp-point one for 56 bucks!! It's light and non-magnetic throughout, so I think it's solid titanium from the point to the tank banger- as they claim. I plan on getting a smaller titanium knife with a blunt end to mount to my bc for general use as well.

Back
Top Bottom