Big Knife on BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several knives that I use depending upon the dive.

I have a BK&T TacTool (Google that), it is a pry bar, I also use a 2.5' Titanium Crowbar when the need arises.

No tool is of any use unless you can deploy it, and even more important~ re-sheathe it without fuss or cutting yourself or your gear.

I affix them so that they are within my mask's potential field of view.

Try not to place them so the add to your snag-abilty. Leg strap mounts are the worst.

What in the world are you ever going to use a 10" knife for?
A knife is a tool and any reasonable job you would need it for IMO 10" is dramatically overkill. Any entanglement you get yourself into a smaller blunt knife or z-knife style would be much better than trying to hack away monofilament line or similar wrapped around your arm, hose, or b.c. with a rambo knife.

You haven't watched enough James Bond movies man! :D:D:D

EDIT: Added a picture of my BIG hunting knife, and a fish I got with it.

Attachments

• shark9.jpg
    shark9.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 127
Ya know what... go ahead and dive with that big knife. Knives are weapons and the bigger the knife, the more man you are. Throughout history, who used small knives? Thieves and women. What profession is known for using shears? That's right, hairdressers (Barbers use clippers).

So if you wanna attach a 5" blade to your BC, go ahead. Heck, go find yourself an old USD Seahawk with an overall length of 13". Might be tough to keep on a BC, but hey, thats the cost of a manly piece of steel. Enjoy the big knife and don't let any of those "it's a tool" pansies talk you out of it.

:rofl3::rofl3: Like I said fishb0y, you, I, and Nemrod were cut out of the same piece of kevlar - chris

I recently bought a Wenoka EZ Lock blunt tip. It's approx 8 1/2" including the sheath. I mounted it inverted to the right should strap buckle on my Sherwood Avid BC. I drilled two small holes through the belt loop on the back of the sheath and two corresponding holes through the buckle of the BC. I mounted it using stainless steel bolts and nuts and used a drop of lock tight on each. It was a bit tricky getting the bolts through the holes on the sheath (not much room) but a apir of large tweezers did the trick. There is a belt loop also at the end of the sheath. I used a couple of zip ties and secured it to another small buckle on the shoulder strap. This knife's hand grip is fairly flat so it lays (lies?) very close to the strap but does not interfere with the operation of the buckle. To release the knife from the sheath simply involves pushing in on a latch. Very easy to pull out but still very secure to prevent loss and the sheath does not budge.

Ya know what... go ahead and dive with that big knife. Knives are weapons and the bigger the knife, the more man you are. Throughout history, who used small knives? Thieves and women. What profession is known for using shears? That's right, hairdressers (Barbers use clippers).

So if you wanna attach a 5" blade to your BC, go ahead. Heck, go find yourself an old USD Seahawk with an overall length of 13". Might be tough to keep on a BC, but hey, thats the cost of a manly piece of steel. Enjoy the big knife and don't let any of those "it's a tool" pansies talk you out of it.

Ditto, and I too have found large knives useful. No, not to kill sharks but for cutting, prying and as an achor. A large knife is a weapon but it is also a useful tool. People who carry the little knives, that is fine, I can certainly appreciate the logic. I also agree the scissors are a good addition for the diver who wants everything but for me, I will just take a good knife--a sharp and pointy one please. I like the old all stainless Tekna for general use and the SeaHawk for heavy duty and the Vulcan for coolness. I also have a larger type Wenoka push lock. While I have sometimes carried them strapped to my leg (inner calf) or upper outside thigh, however, I mostly for as long as I can remember either carried them on my weight belt left side or on the left side waist belt of my backpack harness.

DSCF0283.jpg

Tekna, ScubaPro Stiletto, SeHawk and then (newly aquired) Vulcan with cool sheath.

I don't have large collections of equipment like many do, everything I have get's used or has been used heavily but I have a number not shown above like the old Grisbe knife from USD.

N

I love my ol' Vulcan, the only problem is the 'cheap' plastic sheath that was used for it. I ended up getting an old bayonet sheath for it when I took it diving.

:rofl3:
How could it be unsecure and inaccessible tied to your leg? Tighten up the straps man! I'd personally say the hell with it and just carry a katana strapped all the way down the leg and on the weight belt. Screw that little knife. Any shark comes at me he'd be getting 42 inches of cold folded steel!

:rofl3::rofl3:

Every pound in your knife is a pound off your weight belt. The bigger the better. N

So how many knives will I need to take 12 pounds off my belt?! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom