Big Island Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superspeed

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Me and my girlfriend are headed over to the big island for a couple days this month and wanna get some diving done. We will be in Kona for one day to do the manta night dive with Kona Hono but wanted to possibly do some shore diving in the morning. Anyone recommend a good site that we could pull off and have an awesome time? I have heard of 2 step and mile marker 4. Which is better this time of year, or is there something even better?

Aloha,
Mitch

2 great sites. Also is Place of Refuge, about 15 miles south of Kailua and Puako, about 20 miles North of Kailua. So it depends on where you are staying, but check with the dive shop and they will give you the best recommendation based on weather when you are there. Great boat and friendly staff. Captain Frank is a frined of mine.

Alua Beach aka Crescent Beach is right off of Honokohau Harbor and it's pretty convenient if you want to stay in Kona for the day. While yes, you do have to walk over a bit of lava from the parking lot to the shoreline, the actual entry off of the beach could not be easier. Being that this is right off the harbor you may encounter a bit of boat traffic so it doesn't hurt to have a dive flag at this site.

Mitch,

My wife and I will be in Kona starting at the end of next week, when are you going?

We were just there at the the end of February we dove two step 4 times. Two step and Pace of Refuge are the same place. We tried 4 mile marker but the waves were too big, so we went back to two step.

I second bingediver's recommendation for Alua Beach. Definitely use a flag. It's a great dive.

I agree with cuddlefish and bingediver, Alua Beach aka Crescent Beach. My wife and I did the dive twice and had a blast. See if you can get a local dive shop to drop you off by boat at the green bouy aka the green can, and do your dive from the can back to the beach (we did this and it worked great!!). We had great sightings there, 2 large sand tiger sharks, lots of spotted eagle rays, dolphins....another group of divers said they saw hammerhead sharks but we didn't see any. :depressed: We also got to see a monk seal on the beach which was awesome! And after a great dive the walk to your car over the lava isn't that bad, well worth the effort!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom