Big Island Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll come clean... it was me!

Thanks once again for a great time, Eric. Thanks, too, for the pictures. Some old phrase about a thousand words comes to mind.

Glad you saw a few mantas. The couple times I've been out to see them in the last month or two it's been pretty manta-riffic. Hopefully you got a chance to meet Keller at Jack's. He really makes the manta experience worthwhile.

I did--he's a great guy. We hit it off pretty well. He was on the boat with me today, too. If you see him soon, ask him about the joke that one of the customers told Tuesday night that, shall we say, "adjusted the mood" of the group.

I was back with Jack's today--after all, they still had my gear. As mentioned above, Keller and I immediately renewed our wise cracking relationship.

The first site was right out of the harbor, primarily because we encountered a pod of spinner dolphins as we started out. We were right across from the great dive I had at rip-off reef, but I did not think this site had as much healthy coral. We saw another helmet chowing down on a collector urchin, a snowflake moray, a huge sleeping turtle, 3 octopuses (all together) a tiny speckled scorpion, and a pipe fish. Not a bad collection for 60 minutes of work.

The wind picked up a little and we headed north for the second site, at Sand Chutes. This was another site with lots of healthy coral in the shallows. My wife and friends had come along this day to snorkel, and they enjoyed it immensely. At 75 feet I saw a beautiful divider flatworm. There were not as many critters to behold here. I saw a small yellow tailed file fish and spent some time watching a cleaner wrasse trying to convince potential customers that they needed a cleaning, with varying degrees of success.

We were on a big boat with a lot of divers, but they had us divided up very effectively. Our group of 5 pretty much never saw any of the other divers. This day was also good supporting evidence for my response to pro divers who hide their professional status when they dive for fun. Because they knew my certification level, I was in a group of highly experienced divers who worked well together and were able to satisfy their dive needs without much attention from a divemaster.

boulderjohn: Color me three shades of green with envy. Sounds like you've had some great dives. I'm sitting in the office (sigh) wishing I'd been able to meet up with you in Kona!

Awesome trip report, and I'm really happy you are getting to see a variety of sites. Puako is certainly an area that I've only begun to explore. It would take dozens of dives to even begin to "see it all".

Best wishes

John,

This is the only photo my buddy took from our day of diving that came out at all. Doesn't get much more blue than that does it?

I think you can kinda sorta identify us. I'm the one in jet fins throwing shakas on the right :D

Aloha,

-Eric

Last edited:
..and I am definitely the semi-bald guy with Cressi Frogs on the left.

Thanks for the reports, John.

We are heading back to Kona at the end of July and the first 10 days of August.

Haven't really nailed down our diving itinerary yet.

I am rather undecided about the op or ops we will be diving with, other than the fact that we WON'T be going with the op we dove with in December.

I would like to try some shore diving as well, but I have really bad knees so I need entries and exits that don't require a lot of climbing with gear (I don't mind hiking a long way with gear, it's the climbing that hurts em)... going to have to see...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom