Big Island/Kauai bound in April 08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuzukiGirl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
West Central IL (Straight west of Chicago on the M
# of dives
50 - 99
Aloha,
For our 20th wedding anniversary, we are going to the Big Island & Kauai...islands we've not been to WITHOUT the kids.:D In August 2007 we returned to Oahu for the first time as divers for our family vacation. We are PADI AOW divers and did our first ocean dives ever and included the Mahi Shipwreck (which was almost a religious experience for us midwest quarry divers). We told a divemaster our best dives had been in almost 70 degree water and 10-15 ft vis. He thought we were joking. :rofl3: Upon returning to IL, we completed our night specialty...in 2 inches of vis (literally couldn't see buddy's light over two feet away) all the while wishing we were back in HI.

Although our trip isn't going to be a "diving" specific vacation, we do want to do some time underwater and I've been dreaming of diving with the Manta's ever since I found out about them. It's in the top of the list of "Things I must do/see before I die". We'd also maybe like to do a specialty while there...working on master diver.

We will be 5 days in Kona area & 5 days on Kauai so any tips, info or new friendships would be appreciated.
Happy Holidays,
Connie

The manta dive is certainly a great experience. Many divers come to Kona just for that dive. Of course, the morning dives are really fun as well. Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned! I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice from ScubaBoard. You'll find many posts that will help you plan your dives and other activities.

I just got back from Kona, and did 8 dives over 3 days with Jack's, including the manta ray night dive.

They are a great operator, on the way back to the dock one day they got a tip on a humpback sighting miles down the coast, and they took us to check it out. We found the whales, so it was nice to be there for the first spotting of humpbacks of the season (from what I hear).

The manta night dive is fantastic.

We also say manta rays on 2 other dives also.

I would dive with them again for sure.

Cheers,

Justin

We, my lovely bride and I returned from Kona in June. We dove with Big Island Divers and had a great time. Smaller boats and very attentive captain and crew. Manta dive is a must. Schedule it once in the beginning of your trip and again towards the end in case the mantas are illusive on the first dive.

My manta dives on Youtube

As for Kauai, we used SeaSports. Good boat, crew and dives. We stayed in a condo in Poipu, it was terrific!

Congratulations on your anniversary!

Bumping this thread. Only a few weeks to go.

We booked a Manta dive for our second day there (Sunday, April 6) but still wondering if we should take our gear or rent. We will only be able to dive on Sun. & Mon. because we'll be flying to Kauai on Wed. Then we have no specific diving plans on Kauai but would like to get in a couple shore dives or a boat dive. With so few dives perhaps we shouldn't drag our gear along to risk getting damaged/lost even though we'd be more comfortable using it.

Does anyone know if Jack's goes to the old airport site for the Mantas? I read it was a more interest site to be at if they didn't show up.

IMHO, if space or weight is a problem then re-evaluate the stuff you're taking. I'm sure the rental gear would be good quality stuff, but for me it's a comfort and familiarity thing. Personally I'd take at a minimum; reg set, computer / bottom timer, mask and snorkel. You can rent the rest and if you aren't diving much the rental won't cost too much.

I'm going to Kauai in a few weeks and MY PLAN is to take a whole kit. The above plus: backplate / wing, wetsuit, fins (no-split fins), boots, gloves, thigh pocket, smb and reel, probably a hood, 24W can light and a big video cam. I'll probably also take a spare pair of underwear and a hat! I hope to dive and snorkel a lot. I'll let you know what my wife thinks...

I dove at Kona last August w/ Big Island Divers. Water was 80 degrees, vis 100 feet, not much current or waves, plenty of marine life. What can you say about that? Everything was great. Have fun!!!

Bumping this thread. Only a few weeks to go.

We booked a Manta dive for our second day there (Sunday, April 6) but still wondering if we should take our gear or rent. We will only be able to dive on Sun. & Mon. because we'll be flying to Kauai on Wed. Then we have no specific diving plans on Kauai but would like to get in a couple shore dives or a boat dive. With so few dives perhaps we shouldn't drag our gear along to risk getting damaged/lost even though we'd be more comfortable using it.

Does anyone know if Jack's goes to the old airport site for the Mantas? I read it was a more interest site to be at if they didn't show up.

Nobody goes to the old airport site for mantas. It's a different site altogether than where the manta dive has been occuring. Garden Eel Cove, off the current airport, is where most of the manta action is. There is only one operator in Kona (Sea Paradise, based out of Keauhou) that doesn't go to the dive site off the Kona airport, and several (I think Jack's is among them) will go to the Kona Sheraton site if the airport site isn't seeing mantas for a stretch.

As far as rentals go, most operators will offer gear on their dives for a fee in the 15-25 range per outing on thier boats, shorediving you'll be hit up for a full rental charge and that could add up.

Thanks for the advice. We will definately be taking our mask/snorkel/fins so we can do that anytime. And maybe our wet suits since we're comfortable with the fit. So, might as well grab the regs, too. I'll probably begin packing and then decide if we have room for the BCDs. I'm sure we could rent BCDs with our tanks & weights fairly easily.

I probably was reading about Garden Eel Cove since it's by the airport...just thought it was the old airport. We're pretty excited to dive any site with Mantas. However, since we've never been to either the Big Island or Kauai, we're looking forward to exploring the islands as well as spending lots of down time on the sand, too.

Just make sure you have a good time. Don't overthink it. Happy Anniversary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom