Big Island Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing this is near Kona since you did the Manta night dive. My parents are in Hilo and I really owe them a visit soon :)

Very nice video.
Was that white bleaching?

I'm guessing this is near Kona since you did the Manta night dive. My parents are in Hilo and I really owe them a visit soon :)
Judging by the underwater landscape, I'll bet most dives were done in the Kohala-Puako area.

Very nice video.
Was that white bleaching?

Yes, I believe they had a bad bleaching event a few years ago.

Judging by the underwater landscape, I'll bet most dives were done in the Kohala-Puako area.

Yes! You are exactly right! We spent the first half of our trip in Kona, the second half in Waikoloa. I've never been on the Hilo side, but I've heard it's beautiful! I believe most of the dive sites are on the Kona side.

The Hubbs and I spent New Years in Hawaii! Extremely pleasant diving, and even checked off an item on our bucket list, the Black Water Night Dive!

Great video! Looks like you guys did all of the fun dives :D

The Hubbs and I spent New Years in Hawaii! Extremely pleasant diving, and even checked off an item on our bucket list, the Black Water Night Dive!

Hi! Thanks for sharing this video! Who did you dive with? We are looking to dive the Big Island for the first time the end of May. How does diving compare to the caribbean? Is it worth it besides the 2 epic night dives - black water and manta that the BI offers?

You’ll be disappointed if you compare dive locations. Always enjoy what you see, not what isn’t there.

That said, Hawaii is far more subtle than the Caribbean. Less color and spectacle. It makes up for it in volcanic topography and endemic species. About 20% of the species you see can be seen nowhere else. Spending some time and energy learning about the local ecology will pay huge dividends.

There are no bad dive operations there. So no need to worry about avoid “that” one.

You’ll be disappointed if you compare dive locations. Always enjoy what you see, not what isn’t there.

That said, Hawaii is far more subtle than the Caribbean. Less color and spectacle. It makes up for it in volcanic topography and endemic species. About 20% of the species you see can be seen nowhere else. Spending some time and energy learning about the local ecology will pay huge dividends.

There are no bad dive operations there. So no need to worry about avoid “that” one.
I totally understand what you are saying. I am just wondering if you consider the dive spots on the BI interesting, i understand it's not the reefs and fish you may see in the Caribbean. But it sounds like you see a lot more sharks, mantas and other species that you may not in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom