Big Island diving November 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hinalo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back to Kona after a few years and the difference in the health of the reefs is stunning. Ho'onaunau's famous cascading plate coral is about 75% bleached. Wow. Across the boat channel I found some plate coral that wasn't so bad, but still under stress.

OK, while that was depressing, I enjoyed a week of great diving; a mixture of shore diving and boat dives with Big Island Divers. Water was around 83˚ every day and vis was 100 ft+. Good times. Off the boat we did Eel Cove, Pawai Bay, Pipe Dreams and Outhouse. I'd only done Pipe Dreams as a drift dive before, but in the absence of current skipper Jeanine put us on the mooring ball and we were able to spend more time inspecting the various pipes. I was on Nitrox so couldn't go to the end of the big pipe and say hi to the residents there, but had a good time snooping around the upper end. We found a massive Titan Scorpionfish in a hole on the way back. DMs Brooke and Tara were very good guides.

I had wanted to do a few shore dives I hadn't done before: Mile Marker 4 and Old Kona Airport. But passed because there was still the remnants of a fairly robust south swell and I was on my own. Will catch those and some others on my next trip.

Also had a good time doing the Kealakekua Bay snorkle trip with some non-divers. Went with Dolphin Discoveries and that was a good choice of operators. Good boat, good captain (Patrick) and small crowd. Hadn't been there since about 1963 and it was fun trying to compare what I saw this trip with what it looked like back then to me as a 17 year-old. Coral looked pretty good in comparison with the reef stress I encountered elsewhere.

As always, it felt like too-short a trip. Malama pono.

Back
Top Bottom