Big Island-A little clarification and Recs for places to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As already mentioned above, to those planning dive trips to the Big Island, there are some great shore dives. The following is a link with pictures and directions to the sites, and reviews:

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

Among many great sites, three that are both easy entry/exit and excellent dives are Place of Refuge (aka "Two-Step"), Mahukona, and Puako Village End. Mahukona and Puako Village End are north of Kailua-Kona, Place of Refuge is south. The LDS you choose can give you lots of other good recommendations, as well as current dive conditions at the sites.

Enjoy your trip!

Me and my wife are also planning a trip there in may - we did end up purchasing "Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed" - and its a great book!

Were going with the LDS, and they've got some flexibilty - does anyone have comments on Neptune Charlies dive boat?

Ummmm...they're not at the top of my list of preferences. Perhaps others have had more experience with them and can give you feedback.

Me and my wife are also planning a trip there in may - we did end up purchasing "Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed" - and its a great book!

Were going with the LDS, and they've got some flexibilty - does anyone have comments on Neptune Charlies dive boat?

I have seen the boat, both on the water & parked in the boatyard. It is big & modern looking. However I don't know anyone who has dove with them.

Chris,

I too am from Seattle and have dove many times off the Kona. I've dove with a bunch of the outfitters on the island and each has been fun, but all have their quirks. So far have dove with Jack's Diving Locker, Dive Tek Hawaii (a tech diving oriented bunch), Pacific Rim Divers, and Wanna Dive. Wanna Dive does have a small boat. Last I heard it was being rebuilt, but I'm sure it's done by now. Another recommendation I'd give for a small (6 pack) boat is Pacific Rim (no relation to the Seattle area dive shop of similar name). Patrice is a great DM and knows where to find the good stuff. And the brownies she bakes for each day's diving are wonderful. She has a large returning client base so if you check her out and want to book with her I'd suggest you contact her early.

All of the boats I dove from, except for Jacks, left from the Honokohau boat harbor (about 5 miles north of Kailua-Kona). Jacks left from the town pier in Kailua-Kona. There really isn't any way to get to Honokohau without a rental car. When you dive with Jacks you meet at the shop at the south end of town and they shuttle you to the dock. There are some places where you can stay and walk to Jacks. But without a car you're pretty much limited to town and diving. And there's so much to do on the Big Island I've always rented a car.

For places to stay, it really depends on your budget. The best view I ever had from a room was at the Outrigger near the south end of Ali'i Drive. They have some rooms that literally hang out over the water. We'd watch the turtles in the tidal pools there all the time. It was great, but has gotten a little too expensive for what we were getting. At the Sheraton, even further south, they shine lights from the bar into the water and because of the lights it is one of the places that night Manta dives happen (the other Manta dive location is near the airport). And a Manta night dive is definitely a must do here. But just hanging out at the bar, watching the Mantas swoop and dive is pretty amazing. They've been there most nights. But probably the best deals can be found at VRBO.com. Vacation rentals by owner. Lots of houses and condos marketed by their owners. You're gambling a little more as to the quality of the room, but you can get some good deals.

If you want any more info on places I've been or outfitters I've dove with you can PM me. I know you'll have a great time. I've been there five times now and always have.

JB

Not positive, but I think Jack's now departs from Honokahau Harbor. They have a small satellite shop there for meeting the boats etc. Call them to be sure. They may still do a shuttle. Maybe some of the Kona s-boarders can chime in about this?

Not positive, but I think Jack's now departs from Honokahau Harbor. They have a small satellite shop there for meeting the boats etc. Call them to be sure. They may still do a shuttle. Maybe some of the Kona s-boarders can chime in about this?

We just dove with Jack's several weeks ago. Their main shop is in Kailua-Kona, their 2nd shop is located at Honokohau harbor. They do have trips running from both the Kona pier and Honokohau harbor (they are a large operation, have more than one boat). In our case we did 3-days of diving, with 2-days departing from Honokohau, one from Kailua. But in all cases (except for the night Manta dive) we met at the Kona shop, and were shuttled by van to dive boat. For the Manta dive we met at the Honokohau shop.

We were really happy with Jack's, and would recommend them.

As donnyb says, call to confirm about the shuttle when you actually make your trip, and a rental car is a must for the Big Island.

Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom