Big Blue TL2500p versus Sola 1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpartanLaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going between two different light tray set-ups. Anyone have any opinion on the difference between these two lights? I can basically save $350 by going with the Big Blue set up and wondered if the difference was worth it.

Before you pull the trigger Big Blue is coming out with a 2800 lumen light, VL2800p. I talked with Big Blue today and they are suppose to be shipping to the stores this week so they should be out on the internet soon. The MSRP is $419. I just picked up a Snake River tray and patiently awaiting the big blue to come out. I have a buddy that just got the VL2500P a few weeks ago. That thing is very bright. I can't speak about the Sola light.

Welcome To Bigblue Dive Lights

I have the VTL2500p and am very pleased with it. It has as 120 degree video beam that takes the place of two Sola lights. Unlike the Sola it takes a standard removable battery that you can change after each dive. Also has a spot beam and red beam mode.

I haven't used the Big Blue lights although a local instructor friend has and likes them. I use the Sola 1200s and 2000s and like their light field very much. The only downside is their external charging ports which tend toward corrosion and have to be kept clean for proper charging... but then there is almost no risk of flooding due to the internal batteries (vs the Big Blue)

I haven't used the Big Blue lights although a local instructor friend has and likes them. I use the Sola 1200s and 2000s and like their light field very much. The only downside is their external charging ports which tend toward corrosion and have to be kept clean for proper charging... but then there is almost no risk of flooding due to the internal batteries (vs the Big Blue)[/QUO

Bill I considered Sola lights when looking for a video/focus light because they're compact and have a good reputation, but most people who use them, like yourself, use two because the beam angle is only 60 degrees or so. The Big Blue beam is twice as wide so you only need one, and takes the place of two Solas, and costs about one fourth the price of two Solas. The Big Blue uses the 32650 battery which is widely available.

Thanks for the responses so far and, especially, the heads up about the 2800. Any idea when those are scheduled to come out? I want to make my purchase in the next month or so for a trip I am making in late February.

I am not sure it matters, but I am basically looking at setting up a boomerang tray with a light arm on each side to run with my gopro. I think I have narrowed it down to the Big Blues or Sola 1200 but thought I could tap into the forum knowledge base to make sure I am not missing anything. In this regard, your comments have been very appreciated. If it helps, the following links are the two trays I am currently looking at:

Dual BigBlue VTL2500P - Mounted on BTS Boomerang Tray & Flex Arms Light Set

Dual Sola 1200 Video - Mounted on BTS Boomerang Tray & Flex Arms Light Set

As far as I can tell, the pro's for the big blues are cost, width of beam, and ability to swap batteries though it appears they may be more prone to flood. The sola's on the other hand are more expensive, appear to have experienced battery life/charging issues but are super light and unlikely to flood.

Anything I am missing? Other options I should consider?

One of my regular buddies has the sola 1200. Even when new it will not last a full 60 minute dive. However it's very bright, wide and has a great temperature. In fact it's the best video light output I've seen... if only you could connect an external battery pack.

OK ... Just to totally make my head swim, does anyone have an opinion about the I-torch pro 6+ as compared to the other two? I just found that one and it appears close, if not better than the new big blue 2800 light I was considering.

The following is an example of a third tray now under consideration:

Dual Itorch Pro6+ 2800 - Mounted on BTS Boomerang Tray & Flex Arms Light Set

again, this would be for a gopro setup

OK ... Just to totally make my head swim, does anyone have an opinion about the I-torch pro 6+ as compared to the other two? I just found that one and it appears close, if not better than the new big blue 2800 light I was considering.

The following is an example of a third tray now under consideration:

Dual Itorch Pro6+ 2800 - Mounted on BTS Boomerang Tray & Flex Arms Light Set

again, this would be for a gopro setup
Just looking at that rig I think it's an overkill for a GoPro. The big plus of the tiny GoPro is its small size and this negates it.

Back
Top Bottom