Big Blue Handle Upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently did my first dive with the Big Blue VTL 2500 P. I love the light, but so far I'm not the biggest fan of the goodman glove. Big bulky and the light doesn't attach very tightly to it. Has anyone changed to a different handle on any of the Big Blue VTL series lights? I'm thinking about possibly just switching to the aluminum goodman handle, with an ss bolt snap of course, since I had a canister light in the past. The only small concern I have is with a canister in the unlikely event that you drop it, it's still attached by the cord. The one tiny little thing I do like about the glove that comes with this light is that it's secured to your wrist, although I'm not a fan of the design of the wrist strap either. I'm open to any suggestions, even DIY. I think I may even still have some aluminum strapping around to make my own handle.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2015 at 09:39 PM ----------

Or maybe one of the Dive Rite soft mounts. https://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/lightacc.shtml

Big Blue sells a Goodman handle for the 2500p/2800p (around $45 or so). Wayne at Amigo's Dive Center in cave country deals in Big Blue lights and, if I'm not mistaken, drills holes in them to attach the Dive Rite QRMs. You can also use DR's universal QRM striker but a drawback is that it sits up quite high. If you're a DIR tinkerer, it's not difficult to make your own adaptation using QRMs (w/o drilling holes) that maintains a low profile.

I recently did my first dive with the Big Blue VTL 2500 P. I love the light, but so far I'm not the biggest fan of the goodman glove. Big bulky and the light doesn't attach very tightly to it. Has anyone changed to a different handle on any of the Big Blue VTL series lights? I'm thinking about possibly just switching to the aluminum goodman handle, with an ss bolt snap of course, since I had a canister light in the past. The only small concern I have is with a canister in the unlikely event that you drop it, it's still attached by the cord. The one tiny little thing I do like about the glove that comes with this light is that it's secured to your wrist, although I'm not a fan of the design of the wrist strap either. I'm open to any suggestions, even DIY. I think I may even still have some aluminum strapping around to make my own handle.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2015 at 09:39 PM ----------

Or maybe one of the Dive Rite soft mounts. https://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/lightacc.shtml

I am 100% in agreement with you...the glove does not perform well at all. My friend and I both went to using an Al Goodman handle on them. The handle easily attaches to the light with the existing holes. The other part was attaching a bungee cord at the back of the light in order to keep the light from sliding forward when doing reel work or other task where you have to let go of the handle. I could send a picture if needed.

No photo needed. As soon as I picked up the light I saw the small holes in the back. Bungee solves the only minor concern I had about making the switch. Turns out I do have some aluminum strapping, that's just the right size. I'm going to save the $45 and first take a shot at making my own handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom