BIBR Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please understand that the travel experience to the Bay Islands (or any less developed site) is largely a function of (1) your expectations and (2) your flexibility in the face of adversity and unfulfilled expectations.
I agree with Allen. As much as I love CoCo View, it's still a very rustic place. But while there we are treated like royalty by everyone on the island.

I must have been very lucky because in 4 trips to Roatan TACA has always been on time, I've never been diverted to or even seen El Salvador, LaCeiba or San Pedro Sula. And on every trip, everyone one on our plane has always gotten all their luggage!

I am conjecturing that Dee has always departed from Houston, rather than Miami. Grupo Taca out of Houston is a relatively orderly and calm experience. In marked contrast, GT out of Miami can be down right wild, the planes are always stuffed to the gills, and the airline representatives seem to be chronicly disorganized. While some of the Miami mayhem is uniquely GT, it should be noted that Miami has two major zoos, one with animals and one with jet airplanes!

I seem to have to have two choices of flights for the week I will be going to Roatan.
NJ to San Pedro Sula direct and then on to Roatan.
Or NJ to Miami and then on to Roatan. ( a 3 hour wait in Miami)
I am leaning toward the NJ to San Pedro Sula choice.
Does any one have feed back on either of these routes?

Thanks,
mike

Originally posted by AllenG
I am conjecturing that Dee has always departed from Houston, rather than Miami. Grupo Taca out of Houston is a relatively orderly and calm experience. In marked contrast, GT out of Miami can be down right wild, the planes are always stuffed to the gills, and the airline representatives seem to be chronicly disorganized. While some of the Miami mayhem is uniquely GT, it should be noted that Miami has two major zoos, one with animals and one with jet airplanes!

You're right Allen...We always pay a bit extra for the non-stop from Houston. But I have heard of those flights being diverted to the mainland for different reasons. At this point I've had better experiences with TACA than with Continental.

So Mike....I guess you better not take my experience into consideration! :eek:

We flew Continental Houston to San Pedro Sula and then Islena from San Pedro Sula in to Roatan. Both going and coming we changed small island hops in LaCeiba.

No problems in terms lost luggage or delay but it was just a hassle to have to haul your carry on baggage down the tarmac and then load up on another prop puddle jumper. It was our first time going to Roatan and I have learned now to insist on a direct flight.

Roatan Charters just booked us on the long way around because we didn't know to ask for anything different.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

ScubaBunny, Can you give me more details about your trip to Fantasy island?

Specifically, how were the dive boats, the staff, and how easy are the shore and night dives?

We always go to CCV, but this 2 for 1 deal was too good to pass up.

Thanks so much!

We just returned on the 14 th from a week at Anthonys Key Resort. It was fantastic. The best organized dive operation I have seen. Beutifull 42 and 48 foot boats. We did three dives daily all week with free shore dives. The staff was friendly and very outgoing. We saw cocoviews boats! AKR has 37 dive sites within 15 minutes of the diveshop. Anyway we loved it and are planning on going back next year!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to wander slightly off the original topic of BIBR, but I noticed that Thunderstruck mentioned shore dives at AKR. Which areas did you do as shore dives and what were they like. I know that AKR has a designated shore dive area off of the key itself (all the way to the far end of the key, diagonally across the island from where the boat launch). I have yet to talk with any one that's done that shore dive or, for that matter, any AKR shore diving other than the little plane in the lagoon (not much to see). Can you share some information?

Re Fantasy Island, from my visit to Roatan last month, word is that a businessman from Spain is now the prinicipal owner and is prepared to sink $$ into the otherwise aging infrastructure. No one I had spoken with (locals in the industry) would admit to having been over to FI since the property changed hands, but they obviously watch each other like hawks. The sense one got was that the improvements had not yet happened and the 2-for-1 was trying to generate the traffic and ensuing cash flow that would capitalize the improvements.

Returned yesterday from one week there. Obviously the other resorts may be nicer. But for the price it was great. I would go back again. Went with a group of six, two of which had been there the last five years. My wife is non-diver(not by choice) and she will not consider a place without a sand beach. They had some water system problems the first couple of days apparently due to a broken line in the ground. Started on Sunday which of course they couldnt get completely fixed till monday. Rooms are a little old but thats not important to me. Diving was great. I liked the unlimited pour of Nitrox for $100 per week. Worst experience was renting a Suzuki the last day. Barely made it up hills in first gear.

Very memorable. Some of the people staying there prefer other resorts but considering the price difference, they stayed at FI.

I am planning my honeymoon. My fiance is not the diver that I am. But she does dive. She doesn't want to dive everyday we are there(like 2 or 3 days) is there any all-inclusive resorts that anyone would reccomend?

Back
Top Bottom