• still cant do them

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • not a problem

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • yes without looking at the card

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

builderbloke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
how many of you can still do them ive had to learn them to pass my club diver exam took ages to get my head round them .
i dived with a computer since my second dive which probebly held me back a little as i didnt need to know them ,why tax the brain when you can look at your watch :)

When I took my OW, I was looking at those tables for hours trying to figure out how they worked. Eventually I dug around the internet and pieced things together. After I figured them out basically on my own, I found the little seperate book in my PADI stuff that explained them! :damn:

-Jeff

even though I use a computer, most of my deco info comes from tables still. I almost never look at the deco in my computer

I can work problems on the US Navy tables and all tables in that format (includes NAUI, YMCA, PADI, etc.). I can work problems using the BSAC tables (similar, but slightly different format). I can work problems with the DCIEM tables (totally different format).

Which format does the Bhullman tables use? I collect tables, I'd be interested in getting a set.

sorry spelt it wrong its buhlman tables :stupid: and there designed by professor buhlman from the university hospial zurich, switzerland and modified for the SAA

I don't care much about spelling as long as the idea gets across. I knew Buhlman developed a model that was (is?) used by some computers. I was not aware he also developed a set of tables. What is SAA?

Originally posted by builderbloke
...why tax the brain when you can look at your watch :)

Because sometimes the computer is wrong. Well .... it's probably more accurate to say that sometimes, operator error can cause the computer to give you bad information.

One common mistake is forgetting to reset your mix between dives if you're diving Nitrox. This is especially true if you're diving different mixes between dives. I'm sure there are other ways to fake out your computer. Maybe you forgot to turn it on before you jumped in. Who knows what could happen....

In general, I think it is not a good idea to blindly rely on what your computer is telling you. I think it's a good practice to back up your computer with tables as a sanity check, just to make sure you're in the right ball park.

I bet there a bunch of people on this board who can rattle off the no-deco limits from whatever set of tables they use from memory, even though they regularly dive with a computer.

aren't buhlman tables just like the navy (padi, ymca, naui, etc)? They are not a problem for me. It the bsac tables that are just so bizarre to me. even the dciem tables are easy compared to them.

btw if anyone is looking for help with tables I would reccommend John Lippman's deeper into diving. it offers a great summary of basically all the tables.

brandon

Builder Bloke,

It took me ages to get my head round them, but it comes eventually. The key is practice, practice, practice, all tables give headaches, just some more than others, The SAA do a little book to accompany their tables and it is a big help - have no fear there is one on the way to you:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom