BH Report Feb 11-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd - if you are looking for more photos, we have been going to Blue Hole for 10+ years, and have tons on our website. BLUE HOLE Photos

Dandydon - there was evidence that people were scraping on the metal bars of the grate, one was completely broken through and a few others were worn very thin. It was obvious to everyone that some diver or divers were trying to get into the tunnels. I was told that the snorkel/elbow was placed over the grate to prevent this from happening.

robin:D

Wow?! I had no idea.

I would not mind taking a day and helping out. My only concern would be the amount of silt displaced might affect things downstream and the amount of silt in the hole is a lot more than could be brushed off. I don't really know.

I am planning another trip to hone by dry suit skills next Sat. I think I will bring a probe and measure the depth of the silt in a few places to see what is really there.

I doubt that the outflow could carry enough silt to clog the ditch.It might bank up on the other side of the road and lead to flooding somewhere; I never really looked around over there, but I guess Robin has?

The Corp did use those hay bales to trap silt it seems.

I believe clearing the silt from the BH is a pipe dream. If the army corp of engineers could not make a lasting impact, why would anyone think a few divers could? They had cranes, pumps, manpower, time, and HAY! I don't believe a broom, a mop, some windex, and a few divers can accomplish much other than to silt it out.

I've watched the BH change over the past decade, and I am unclear if anything that has been attempted has made much of an impact. OTOH, vis remains fantastic (when folks are not stirring it up) the outflow remains good and while the site is changing, I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

The Corps also had an onsite recompression chamber :D Who here has one of those? lol

Robin, I've been diving BH for about 10 years as well. Have some good pics, but yours I admit are super awesome. I was just happy to see a compilation of the actual Corps operation since those are almost impossible to find!

Don, I wrote a distinctive specialty which was approved by PADI. Classroom involves learning about the geologic forces behind BH, the caverns, history, the Corps' dredging operation, etc. Two dives to cert, one of which involves a deep dive to the elbow. Prerequisite of advanced or higher. Students receive a PADI Blue Hole Diver Specialty card when they complete :D

If the center ever opens I would like to have the class there for visitors whenever I go down. I would also love to have some guest speakers if anyone is interested.

I don't guess many divers stopped by while it was closed for cleaning. I was taking my daughter's family on a trip to see sites west of Albuquerque and we stopped by. You can see a few of them in the first pic.

As far as geologic forces behind BH, we have had some disagreement over whether it was a volcano vent or not. What is the source for the water?

Do you mention the Hole's popularity with the western migration of the Dust Bowl evacuees, featured in "The Grapes of Wrath" - book and movie?

As far as geologic forces behind BH, we have had some disagreement over whether it was a volcano vent or not. What is the source for the water?

Do you mention the Hole's popularity with the western migration of the Dust Bowl evacuees, featured in "The Grapes of Wrath" - book and movie?

Have not heard much of the volcanic vent speculation before. We do mention the Grapes of Wrath and how the bridge of the Pecos River was in the film as well as a brief history on the decommissioning of Route 66 thanks to the Interstate system.

Oh and that the hole was a fish hatchery for a brief time too. That would have been interesting to see :D

I did visit BH when the Corp was there several times. They used the hay bales as they were pumping the silt out into the parking lot, not flushing it over the outflow point. They also pumped out hundreds of crawfish and some goldfish. They weren't very particular. In their pumping they dug several large holes on the bottom, oops! As far as I am concerned, they did nothing but make a mess.

Ronfrank - sorry you have such a negative view of trying to make the Hole a better place to dive. I did many dives there when the silt on the bottom was negligible, before the snorkel was put over the grate, now silt is 4-6" deep in spots. That is due to the snorkel diverting the water flow, nothing else.

The snorkel also has caused water to come out at different points so the outflow has changed. Anyone else remember the "tidy bowl effect?". Used to be you couldn't float at the surface without swirling around, the flow was that dramatic.

Anyhow, I may just go over and start working on this. It can't be done in a day, but gotta start sometime.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom