BEWARE...you could get this phone call too.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
If you went to the Diving Expo in Raleigh NC a short while back, BEWARE, I bet you will soon be receiving a phone call like I just got.

Here is what happened. At the expo, as I walked around the vendors, I filled out a few of the raffles for trips, gear and the like. Tonight while I am cooking supper my phone rings. It turns out I won a travel package for only just under $700 minus flight. It sounded really good. All inclusive, for two people in Cancun with an add on package in Florida for 5 people in the same price. Wow.

When I was asked by the rep what I thought of the package I was quite honest. I said it sounds great, but I am waiting for the catch. What’s the catch? Oh, no catch he says. But, I need a credit card number right now. Not going to happen says I because I have a lot of travel coming up at work. No problem says he …..this package is good for 12 months. Still no good says I. My travel is longer than that. I explain I train the military and he goes, Oh wait a second, I can probably get it extended for longer.

He puts me on hold and his ‘boss’ comes on the line and says they will extend it for 36 months. How do I like that? I tell him I like it fine, but he still isn’t getting my credit card number tonight and the more he presses for it the more I distrust him. He got upset when I said that. I couldn’t get him to understand that if he was a legitimate agency, and the price was good for 36 months, then it should make no difference when he got my credit card number. He got more irate then and I just said I wasn’t interested and hung up.

No more than 30 seconds later my phone rings again. Yep, it was the ‘boss’ again. Did we get cut off…he asked. No, I told him….I told you I wasn’t interested and hung up. Again, he presses for a credit card number and I told him it wasn’t going to happen.

I finally get him to stop talking and ask what company he was again, and his full name. He asked why. I told him I was going to contact the organizers of the expo because we don’t need his kind in our community. Then he gets even more irate and yells how would I like it if he hung up on me. I said I would love it …then I wouldn’t have to listen to his load of you know what. But, I still wanted his company’s name and his name. He said a few rude things and I just hung up again while he was still ranting.

Does anyone here know any of the organizers of the Raleigh Dive Expo? We don’t need vendors like that coming into our community. Does anyone remember who was doing a raffle for an all inclusive in Cancun??

Watch your phone next time it rings if you too went to the expo and filled out any raffle tickets. If he calls….get his name and company while you’re still friendly with him and pm me pls. Thanks. Rich

This is pretty common at shows like Dive Shows, RV Shows, Car Shows, etc.... Many of the raffle type things are just a scam to get your name and phone number for later telemarketing.

I don't put my real name on anything at those places anymore. Most of the time, I just don't sign up.

It sounds like you did the right thing. Short of many complaints to the show organizers, there probably isn't much we can do about it.

Wow
Encountered lots of those scams before, but never one that pushy. Sounds like you handled it right and had a good time while at it...

JAG

Sounds like a gym membership I "won" in CA after filling out a competition form - a later perusal of the company website turned up the fact that my "prize" was actually a standard free month's membership available to *anyone* walking in off the street. Hard to believe that these plain deceptive marketing practices are allowed.

They go upset with me because I told them I wasn't interested. Got downright rude. Wanted to know why I had signed up if I wasn't willing to go on the trip. I told them it was the only way I could steal the pen from the table. Got REAL rude after that. :eyebrow:

Just in case you are interested in some follow up.....

I have been contacted by two people that were associated with the expo. They take a dim view of the event and are looking into it. If I hear anything else from
them I will let you know.

I know sometimes, vendors will sell their list of names of people who registered at the booth to companies like this. Most of the times, a broker will buy the list and then sell it to anyone. List selling is a huge business.

Yeah I got the same call. I can't rember the name of the Co though. I was begining to think I was really a luck person or something. I will not be filling out anymore raffle tickes anymore. So far this year I have "won" a gym membership, and like 2 or 3 trips, and everyone of them where total bs.
Just my 2 cents.
Brian

Rich as you now the sea's dont like that and thanks for reporting it.
we have all ready started taking some action thanks .

Hey medic....no problem. Y'all come on out to Rawlings Lake on Memorial day and dive with me and DG.

All welcome

Back
Top Bottom