beware when buying this ikelite lamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ikelite PCM LED eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices (not talking bout the retailer)

Something I didn't know, that AA rechargeable batteries are thicker than the non AA rechargeable ones. So only the non rech will fit in. Never knew there was two kind of AA batteries, not talking bout the AAA ones.
Is it the same problems with other ikelite lamps or other brands or is it only with this model that only non rech are working with ?
I tried with the rech ones I bought in Asia, don't fit, same with the ones bought from europe. So in the conclusion you are stuck with non rech batteries that you will need to change everytime they die.

Ikelite PCM LED eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices (not talking bout the retailer)

Something I didn't know, that AA rechargeable batteries are thicker than the non AA rechargeable ones. So only the non rech will fit in. Never knew there was two kind of AA batteries, not talking bout the AAA ones.
Is it the same problems with other ikelite lamps or other brands or is it only with this model that only non rech are working with ?
I tried with the rech ones I bought in Asia, don't fit, same with the ones bought from europe. So in the conclusion you are stuck with non rech batteries that you will need to change everytime they die.

I am a bit confused by your statement

that AA rechargeable batteries are thicker than the non AA rechargeable ones

Do you mean

that AA rechargeable batteries are thicker than the AA non rechargeable ones

exactly

Thanks - that's good to know. If the tolerances are that close, that's super important to know.

AA actually is a size designation (Length 50 mm, Diameter 14.2 mm).....

The alkaline AA's I have at home are the same size as the rechargeable AA's

What rechargeable AA's are you comparing to what non-rechargeable AA's?

I've been using both types in many different applications for quite some time, and have never had a AA not fit in a AA slot... Perhaps you got some bad rechargeable AA's?

As I mentioned earlier, the problem might only be with this model from ikelite, other brands might not have this problem, can't tell.
I tried with various rech batteries such as : toriyama (2600mAh), sony (2700 mAh), sony (2500 mAh) and they will get stuck in the lamp 'cause too thick.
The ones I have now are the non rech "co tech" and they fit.

I have used NiMh in lots of different aps and never had an issue.. I have a bunch of them around so let me grab my micrometer and smoke them over. post the results later

Measuring a handful of both standard and NiMh AAs (Energizer and Duracell) I do find the NiMhs are SLIGHTLY larger on average than the standard AAs. The average difference is about 0.01 inch (0.25 mm). To put that in perspective, it is about the thickness of 3 sheets of copier paper. I very much doubt Ikelite would keep any plastic product to that level of tolerance, esp if they market the lights to accept both types. Tolerances that close would cause problems with batteries getting stuck when (and they do) swell and even if the light was cold. I can't help but believe you have another issue rather than battery type.

Well, I can assure you that all the AA rechargeable batteries I tried (even the other brand I tried in the shop yesterday, so it makes the 5th type of batteries) got stuck in the lamp.

Back
Top Bottom