Beware: Dr. Bill May be Diving Dry!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck! I hope your drysuit has fewer holes than your wetsuit! :wink:

I'll also warn you- drysuits can bring great joy, but they can turn you into a wimp- especially with a p-valve. Once you go dry, the water will never be warm enough for a wetsuit!

Happened to meet up with RobertArak at Antonio's tonight and he is trying out his drysuit for the first time tomorrow as well. Of course he is doing it the intelligent way... having Jeanne from HollywooDivers give him the drysuit class. I'm going to try to overhear her instructions to him!

drbill, if I could do it with only 100 dives wet at all and no DS class, I'm sure you can take care of it in no time. :)

It does help if you also have proper undergarments and are a tad more negative for those couple of first dives. In my profile pic you can see how I did it for those first few dives, not recommended, but it worked when I needed it, plus I hated too much lead on my belt...:D

OMG... you guys have faith in me! That's more than I can say for myself. Seriously, I am a bit nervous but I'm sure it will work out fine. Howard, do you have dates set for next June?

Some time near the SCUBA show - it's June 21 & 22 next year.

Hopefully NetDoc will get a new drysuit before then. or he'll just use a wetsuit.

I'll look forward to a pic in your snazzy new suit Dr. Bill. :)

Bill, I taught Naoko how to use a drysuit in the dive park. Theres a train axle down there that came in handy as an emergency anchor in the beginning.

Ah, I know it well... and a host of other objects in the park that could be used to anchor me down if needed!

Howard... if Pete needs to borrow a wetsuit, I'll loan him the M&B that I wore the last time you were out!

Tracy, I'll try to get pictures but I'm not bringing my camera today. Decided not to try multitasking!

I'm still sitting here drinking my coffee since I only plan on doing one dive today. At least I hope I successfully complete the one!

Oh, here's a picture of me with the drysuit on in my living room... yep, I may just like this diving dry thing after all!

Dr%20Bill%20in%20drysuit%204045sm.jpg

Well, my fears were totally unrealized! I had no problem with a feet first ascent, nor any issues relating to buoyancy at all... well except for one I'll detail later in this post.

I went down after finishing my pot of coffee. I timed it just right... all my friends were exiting the water as I finally got up the nerve to enter with the dry suit. I didn't want any witnesses underwater, especially if they might be carrying a camera to record things.

My legs felt warm and comfy as I entered the water. No problems getting over to the down line. I used it to descend although it really wasn't necessary. I started out over the forests of the exotic Japanese Sargassum and ended up diving deeper than expected... out past the wrecks. In fact I was outside the park in two different directions because I was looking down rather than out. Buoyancy was fine... I just floated about 2 ft above the bottom and did a longer dive than I expected to.

However, as I began my descent out past the kelp I felt a "trickle" of water that appeared to be going down my neck seal. Yes, Pete had suggested I have the seal inspected before diving, but I disregarded his wise advice.

As I continued my dive in deeper water, I discovered the "squeeze" that many dry suit divers talk about. No problem, I just used my dry suit inflator to add a little air.

The "trickle" of water continued until I could feel dampness from head to toe. Still I wanted to do a legitimate, logable dive despite the 57 degree water temp. Besides, I dive wet in colder water so this was nothing new.

The exotic Japanese Sargassum was so thick that I actually got lost in the dive park. Twice I had gone well outside the dive park boundaries because I was staring down, but corrected course easily to bring myself back inside. Fortunately my instincts were correct... I passed through the Sargassum entering the opening right at the drop down buoy by the stairs.

My ascent was controlled but it was very difficult to develop any forward inertia. I felt I was exerting far more effort than should be required to cross the 30 ft or so to the stairs. I finally landed on the stairs and tried to take my fins off. My legs were so full of water that it was hard to lift my foot up high enough to take the fins off, but I managed.

Walking up the stairs I realized I must have at least one and possibly two or more gallons of water inside the suit. It was hard to lift my feet to the next step. When I got to the Dr. Bill Mobile, I realized that there was so much water in each leg that the dry suit legs were "folded over" due to the weight. When I tried to drive the Dr. Bill Mobile, my foot was like lead on the accelerator. It was hard walking up the stairs to my condo. When I tried to take the dry suit off, the folding of the legs due to the water made it very difficult to remove the suit. I almost thought I'd have to drive back to the dive park to get someone to help me!

So if this is what "diving dry" is all about, I'll stay wet thank you (as I was today). Seriously, will have the dry suit leak tested at Scuba Luv to find out where the water might be coming in. After this first dry suit dive, there is only one way things can go... up (and hopefully not feet first).

Cinde, manager of CDS, did get a few shots of me after the dive so I;ll post them when she sends them to me. And to think, some folks actually thought I taught dry suit diving.

A trickle or so of water in the wrist or neck area is nothing special, I get damp wrists all the time, but sounds like you lived through a flood.

Do let us know how much water exactly was in the suit and post photos. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom