Beware: Dr. Bill May be Diving Dry!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Tomorrow will be my 300th dive for this year, and I think I've finally psyched myself up to do something I've never done... dive dry!

As some of you are aware, I'm "known" for my "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" DVD's, television show and newspaper column. I'm not, as some thought, a dry suit diver... and especially not a dry suit instructor.

Some time back NetDoc (Pete Murray) was out diving with us on the King Neptune. His dry suit no longer fit properly because he's been buffing up, so he gave it to me. Now I'm generally good to about 50 F even in my "holy" wetsuits (as my new one has too quickly become). However, I think it is time to see whether I can survive diving dry.

Today didn't give me much encouragement. I did two dives in our local dive park. On the second one I noticed a diver swim past me as I exited the kelp forest. I then looked over to the right to see his dive buddy diving dry with doubles. She was behind some thick kelp, but I was positive she was doing a feet first ascent. I couldn't get to her in time due to the kelp, but I did slowly ascend to make sure she was OK.

So those of you who are rescue certified or higher, please keep your eyes peeled for a flailing diver in a Northern Diver dry suit quickly rising towards the surface feet first. I may need all the help I can get. In 46 years of diving I've never dived dry (and if my first experience is like that of so many other divers I know, including one of my dive buddies whose dry suit flooded with 28 F degree water down in Antarctica, I may not tomorrow either).

Dr. Bill,

There is an interesting learning curve involved with diving dry, but with your experience I don't think you'll have any trouble "balancing the bubble".

Although I don't feel as streamlined as I do when I'm diving wet, I wouldn't trade diving dry in 42 degree water for anything. It adds so much to your winter/cold water diving experiences.

the K

That's great to hear you're finally going to put that suit to good use. You've only been staring at that thing since June :laughing:

I can't wait to see pictures! Or possibly you diving it when we come back to California next June :D

Diver Diver ... You OK? :wink:

Although you may be harder to spot now that your not sporting your "ghost ship" wetsuit ... I'm sure you'll be fine

Have fun :) I'm sure you won't have any trouble as you understand bouyancy well. But you may find the feeling quite different. btw one note of caution, I was warned NOT to wear blue jeans under my drysuit. You want "soft" stuff on because otherwise it turns into coarse sandpaper next to your skin when that "shrink-wrap" effect sets in.

Be sure to let us all know how it goes :)

Aloha, Tim

Dr Bill If it feels unfomfortable to you turn the exhaust valve to the left and let some water in till your comfortable, the water will warm up in a couple of minutes. I know you dive as much as I do so you will know what it will feel like when it starts leaking.
Hope your happy with your new computer. BYE BYE now buddy.

Have fun :) I'm sure you won't have any trouble as you understand bouyancy well. But you may find the feeling quite different. btw one note of caution, I was warned NOT to wear blue jeans under my drysuit. You want "soft" stuff on because otherwise it turns into coarse sandpaper next to your skin when that "shrink-wrap" effect sets in.

Be sure to let us all know how it goes :)

Aloha, Tim

I did that once, it pinched me all over.

OMG... you guys have faith in me! That's more than I can say for myself. Seriously, I am a bit nervous but I'm sure it will work out fine. Howard, do you have dates set for next June?

You'll do just fine Dr. Bill. The park is a perfect place a first dry suit dive. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom