Beware!!! - BAD OLYMPUS SERVICE !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Was it under warranty?

What was wrong with the camera?
don't know, they said nothing... but all buttons just stopped responding before "service"
How old was it?

Don't count on getting any better service from Canon, or any camera manufacture for that matter. Also authorized service centers are NOT necessarily owned or operated by the camera manufacture.

If a camera is out of warranty, EVERY manufacture is going to want you to PAY for an estimate. The trick is to find an authorized service center, or someone that you trust that will only charge a nominal fee for the work.

MACK, which is authorized to fix just about anything, I believe charges $15 for an estimate.... add shipping to that.

yes, but this was more in the 150$ range (and it was out of warranty and wasn't even worth that much)... I know that I won't get any better service from Canon or anyone else but all my Canons are still working...

Now I am nervous about a hassle with oly. I just sent in my camera to get it fixed for the same reason 4 days ago. I called before hand and had the serial number checked out and a email sent to me, hopefully this will help.

I hate to tell you, but that's how my adventure started. The people you talk to first are customer service. They seem to know what's going on except they don't communicate well with the second set of folks you will get to meet - the repair department. They did not understand the service advisory and were pretty rude.

Where did you send your camera? I sent mine to New York. I think some people have had better service with the California shop.

In any case, stay the course - never give up, never surrender. :D

Had great service with Oly, both times. Yes there is an inherent problem with the 50 series and UW cases but they are happy to fix it and give an additional six months warrenty on it....Went to Cali BTW. I have heard it is better.

WOW! A camera that has no problems what so ever! This must be a first......
The problem is that users must raise the control dial knob before putting the camera in the case. I guess it's more a user problem than a camera problem.

SeaYoda:
In any case, stay the course - never give up, never surrender. :D
That's the Churchillian spirit we want to hear.

"We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets...We shall never surrender."

That spirit prevailed in the 1940s, and it will surely win again over a few corporate pygmies today.

Well looks like I may not have to deal with oly. UPS has lost my camera. They acknowledge that they picked it up last tuesday but have no idea where it is or if it even got on a truck.

crum:
Well looks like I may not have to deal with oly. UPS has lost my camera. They acknowledge that they picked it up last tuesday but have no idea where it is or if it even got on a truck.
I hope you sent it insured.

Wildcard:
Went to Cali BTW. I have heard it is better.

SeaYoda:
Where did you send your camera? I sent mine to New York. I think some people have had better service with the California shop.

I've found that it doesn't really matter where you send the camera. They may send it to the other service center regardless. I sent mine to Cali, only for Oly to send it to NY, delaying its return even moreso.

Wildcard:
WOW! A camera that has no problems what so ever! This must be a first......
The problem is that users must raise the control dial knob before putting the camera in the case. I guess it's more a user problem than a camera problem.

Different problem being resolved in this thread. This is a recall on a CCD sensor problem I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom