Better to safety stop at 10 or 20 if...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zoop seems to relate it to going up too fast. It doesn't tell you how long you will need to stop if you exceed 30' per minute, but it does require a mandatory safety stop. I've got to assume Shearwater has a similar attitude, since my computer safety stop is set to "ADAPT".

Zoop seems to relate it to going up too fast. It doesn't tell you how long you will need to stop if you exceed 30' per minute, but it does require a mandatory safety stop. I've got to assume Shearwater has a similar attitude, since my computer safety stop is set to "ADAPT".

My Zoop has never asked for a 5 min safety stop.

When I get to 19 feet it just starts a 3 minute countdown. Did yours just change to 5 in the display instead of 3 or did the "Ascent" and "Stop" displays come on below your max depth on the display? That's what mine does for a required deco situation.

If the Perdix is set to adaptive safety stop it will switch to a 5 minute safety stop if you go to 100 feet or deeper or if your ndl goes to 5 minutes or less.

Per the rec/nitrox manual page 19
"
Safety Stop

The Safety Stop setting can be set to the following values:

• Off
• 3 minutes• 4 minutes• 5 minutes• Adapt

When using the Adapt setting, a 3 minute safety stop will be used, unless the dive exceeds 100ft (30m) or the NDL falls below 5 minutes, in which case a 5 minute safety stop is used.
"

When did someone decide 10' is 'better' than 15'?
Pretty sure padi still says 15 on their plastic RDP tables.

The PADI table, as do the NOAA and NAUI tables, states 15'. I learned about the 10' years ago when taking my tech classes. As mentioned above, the 15' is a compromise, especially when it comes to sea-state conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom