Better to safety stop at 10 or 20 if...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people prefer to do 5 minutes. Apparently some computer programs do, too. If my computer algorithm said to do a 5 minute safety stop, I think I would do a 5 minute safety stop.

My computer usually likes a three minute safety stop, but recently had me do a five minute stop in Cozumel. I'm pretty sure it was the dive profile and not because I was in Coz.

My computer usually likes a three minute safety stop, but recently had me do a five minute stop in Cozumel. I'm pretty sure it was the dive profile and not because I was in Coz.
So what does your manual say about it?

I would suggest reading it to find out how its algorithm works rather than taking a guess.

My DC is user programmable (multiple choice) for time and depth of my safety stop. If it requests a stop other than what I programmed, it's NOT a safety stop. YMMV. :confused:

Last edited:
OP has a Perdix, so if it is asking if you want your "Last Stop" to be 20 or 10 then it is in "OC Tec" mode. In this mode it does not give you a safety stop. If you would like a safety stop, then switch it to "OC_Rec" mode. In Rec mode you do not get a choice to set your "last stop", that option is greyed out. You can choose a safety stop of adaptive, 3min, 4min, 5min, or off. Safety stop counter will start when you reach 20ft or shallower. In adaptive it will give you a 3 min safety stop if your dive is below (i think) 100ft, and 5 min if over 100. Hope this helps?

I have mine set at 20 on my petrel 1. That said if I am doing a deeper dive 70+ I do 3 minutes at 20, 3 minutes at 10, and 3 minutes at 5 feet. I usually have plenty of air to do this and I have found that it forces you to work on your buoyancy as its not super easy at first to hover at 5 feet in the "sky diver " position. 120+ dives later no issues thus far other than one reverse block.

Mekyoung is right my petrel is set to adaptive under recreational mode and I guess that is why it starts ticking at 20. So that is where I get the 20 from. Bottomline those last 20 feet seem to make a major difference for me. When I started diving it was always 3 minutes at 15 and I went up from there pretty quick. As I started doing deeper dives (relatively speaking nothing below 100 feet) I found that slowing things down in that last 20 feet really does wonders to how you feel after the dive.

the internal GPS know you were in CZM where a 5 min stop is mandatory :wink:

So what does your manual say about it?

I would suggest reading it to find out how its algorithm works rather than taking a guess.

The Perdix AI menu appears to be mute on anything regarding the safety stop. My Zoop has done the same thing. I will see if its manual says anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom