Better than a Petrel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't consider one that didn't have some form of a user replaceable battery..........

Me neither, that's how I ended up with a refund. Initially they just sent me an OSTC 2 as a replacement, which was very generous as it was an upgrade and more expensive than my dead Frog but as it had a non replaceable battery and no blue tooth, which the Frog had, I wasn't interested so I returned it. They then offered me an OSTC 3 for €50 but the release date kept getting pushed back and I couldn't wait, hence offering me a refund. They tried their best. Good people.

I have both the Petrel 2 (sold my Predator) and an OSTC3+
With the Petrel being smaller than the Predator and the small size of the OSTC3 I can now fit both on the same arm easily.
Both great computers with great support!

I wanted a backup that was as good (or better) and ran different firmware.
I do not want to have two computers that could have the same firmware problem(s) as that to me is not a truly redundant backup.
I really like the openness of the firmware being released with the HW's.

nakatomi, can you compare OSTC2 with OSTC3? Which one is superior?

nakatomi, can you compare OSTC2 with OSTC3? Which one is superior?

It really depends which feature you are looking for. The OSTC3 has a swappable battery, for some people this seems to be an important option. And of course the buttons are different from those of the OSTC2.
The latter has QI wireless charging to offer and carries a rechargeable battery that lasts 50+ hours. I've been using on of the first OSTC N2's since when it came out and am really happy with the concept of not having to swap batteries.

??

On the page you linked, it only says

That's Linus. Dirk's page has
I have a Petrel and a Petrel 2 and they are rock solid computers with a very nice UI. I tend to have battery life issues with mine, but I guess it’s because I run them on cheap AA alkaline batteries instead of the expensive 3.6V cells. In many ways the Petrel and the OSTC3 compete with each other. The OSTC3 is smaller and prettier, the Petrel has better buttons. I like the OSTC3 UI better, but it’s a close call.

Just got a mail from DRIS about Ratio Computers iX3M Deep. Looks like a James Bond computer... Who are Ratio Computers? Never heard of them before.

I have a HW OSTC 2N and my wife has a Shearwater Predator. Both are excellent computers, but the OSTC's rechargeable battery is a big positive. It also has lots more functions (stopwatch, can set a mark and more). The software on both is very close to each other, when we do deep dives our decompression schedule is within a minute of each other.

I have both the Petrel 2 (sold my Predator) and an OSTC3+
With the Petrel being smaller than the Predator and the small size of the OSTC3 I can now fit both on the same arm easily.
Both great computers with great support!

I wanted a backup that was as good (or better) and ran different firmware.
I do not want to have two computers that could have the same firmware problem(s) as that to me is not a truly redundant backup.
I really like the openness of the firmware being released with the HW's.

Cyberdiamond, can you expand a little on the differences between the two? Pros and cons of each, for those of us trying to make up our minds? Thanks!

John

I have a HW OSTC 2N and my wife has a Shearwater Predator. Both are excellent computers, but the OSTC's rechargeable battery is a big positive. It also has lots more functions (stopwatch, can set a mark and more). The software on both is very close to each other, when we do deep dives our decompression schedule is within a minute of each other.

It looks about the same size as the Predator.
The stopwatch function is a nice option. I wish the Petrel had one.
Not sure a rechargeable battery is a big deal. The AA battery on the petrel lasts plenty long. Pretty sure you can use a LiIon rechargeable battery if you don't want to keep buying new ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom