Better than a Petrel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool... I just downloaded/updated to v29. But now I can't download my dive log.
I had a lot of problems downloading the update firmware on Kwajalein too. I don't remember exactly the adjustment I made but once I made it everything worked great. I think I used a different browser other than Explorer, Google most likely. But I found the solution on Shearwater's website.

BTW...the timer works great. I have used it as a bottom timer and to gather data for SAC calculations while diving the Eugene with doubles on.

like? maybe u cld do petrel/ratio features comparison pls

The list of features is quite extensive, depending upon which model you choose. If you go to their web site and drill down, they have them all listed.
Ratio Dive Computers

The list of features is quite extensive, depending upon which model you choose. If you go to their web site and drill down, they have them all listed.
Ratio Dive Computers

Yeah, I explored their site. But how is their pedigree and "ecosystem"? I mean, reliability record and customer support, for instance, and how long they are around? Are they here to stay? Where are they located and produce their gadgets. Didn't find that on the website. Their logo suggests Greece or Russia...

Yeah, I explored their site. But how is their pedigree and "ecosystem"? I mean, reliability record and customer support, for instance, and how long they are around? Are they here to stay? Where are they located and produce their gadgets. Didn't find that on the website. Their logo suggests Greece or Russia...

Does anyone remember the Xdeep Black computer? People would just look at the specs, the pictures and the price and figure this would be a killer product.
Who was to expect that it would be virtually unattainable due low production volume? That there would be many technical difficulties and bugs?
And finally in my opinion the design was, in some aspects, a bit questionable and not comparable to Liquivision, Shearwater and Heinrichsweikamp.

Over the past two years, we have seen more new technical dive computers enter the market: Seabear, Divesoft and now Ratio Dive Computers.
Those that I looked at (Seabear and Divesoft) have drawbacks making me not want them. For example 12 hours battery life during diving (Seabear H3) 20 (Divesoft Freedom) or 24 (Seabear T1) is not acceptable to me.
Clearly Shearwater and Heinrichsweikamp are doing it right, the Petrel will run well over 100 hours (with the Saft battery) and the OSTC 2 offers 60 hours with a rechargeable battery. That's a lot more efficient in design.
And if you keep looking, there will be more drawbacks with other computers, which makes me think buying a Petrel or OSTC is pretty much a no-brainer until all the other manufacturers have gone through 1-2 generations of product improvements, much like Shearwater, Heinrichsweikamp and Liquivision have done.

quick clarification, the design isn't "more efficient", they're just higher capacity batteries. Remember that the H3 is rated for 15 hours with a 400mah battery, and the Petrel will go 90 hours on a Saft, but it is rated at 2450mah, so as far as efficiency goes, they are actually about the same.

I had a lot of problems downloading the update firmware on Kwajalein too. I don't remember exactly the adjustment I made but once I made it everything worked great. I think I used a different browser other than Explorer, Google most likely. But I found the solution on Shearwater's website.

BTW...the timer works great. I have used it as a bottom timer and to gather data for SAC calculations while diving the Eugene with doubles on.

Still no luck. I re-paired it with the Bluetooth on my computer and it can't find the Petrel.

quick clarification, the design isn't "more efficient", they're just higher capacity batteries. Remember that the H3 is rated for 15 hours with a 400mah battery, and the Petrel will go 90 hours on a Saft, but it is rated at 2450mah, so as far as efficiency goes, they are actually about the same.

Well, so let me put it another way. Using a 400mAh battery in a dive computer when they could have used something worthwhile (i.e. lasting more than 15 hours), is a bad design choice, IMHO at least.

Still no luck. I re-paired it with the Bluetooth on my computer and it can't find the Petrel.

I will have to see if I can remember what I did and where I saw the fix on line at. I will call you when I find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom