Better diving: Moorea or BoraBora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are staying at the Pearl Resort on both and are trying to decide whether to dive more on one and maybe fish and explore on the other. Sharks don't really excite me.....unless they are coming right at me!

Well I would explore the lagoon on Bora Bora it is so beautiful!! There are boat tours that you can charter. Too bad sharks don't excite you cause thats pretty much the main attraction!! Nothing more exciting than a 3m lemon shark following you around like a puppy dog!

Moorea is more like what Hawaii used to be like. Quiet, slow and peaceful. Bora Bora looks like its farming over the water bungalows but the lagoon is amazing. The diving was ok. The coral is ehh.

The diving is very similar on both islands from my limited experience (only 3 dives on Moorea and 1 on Bora Bora). Same sharks, same hard corals. However, I understand mantas favor Bora Bora, at least at certain dive sites, so that might give it the edge.

If you really want great diving, head to the Tuamotus (Rangiroa, Fakarava, etc.). There's simply no comparison between Society Island and Tuamotu diving.

What Mossman said.

I would agree...more diving in Bora Bora and more land exploration in Moorea :D

I'm from Tahiti and have been diving around the world since the early 80s. I would spend more time diving in Bora Bora than Moorea. A couple of years ago, Moorea had been ravaged by a cyclone and an Acantaster (crown-of-thorns starfish - coral devastator) so the undersea floral scene is rather lunar. Although the fauna is incredible...you'll see at least 3 types of reef sharks! Bora is more varied plus the outer rim of the reef has nice sites plus a manta ray and lemon shark site is quite amazing!

Bora Bora for sure, I dove a lot there - the dive master told me if I liked diving so much I should be on Rangiroa though... Stay and Bora Bora Lagoon Resort. Very posh and nice. Dove with Top Dive - LOVED THEM! Prompt and great boats, great dive masters.

Next time...We will be on Rangiroa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom