Best wreck diving in USA poll. Please vote ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a wreck or two off the coast of NJ and NY from what I hear.

:d

chart_ny-1_west.png

chart_nj-5_deep_sea.png

chart_nj-1_sandy_hook.png

chart_nj-2_manasquan.png

chart_nj-3_barnegat.png

chart_nj-4_cape_may.png

Last edited:
The great lakes has quite a few wrecks that range from as shallow as 20 feet, to as deep as 300. Like mentioned earlier, not too many colorful fish, but many of the wrecks are still fully intact. The Eber Ward in the straits deck is at 100'. It's a spectacular wreck that is fully intact, standing upright,and has great vis (about 60-70 feet). The only thing is that the temp is about 43-45 degrees.

Last edited:
Having been to NC and Lake Michigan, they both are great! I love diving the deeper wrecks on the big lake, but NC has so many historical wrecks and warm water, I will vote NC

There simply is nothing to compare to the Great Lakes for variety and the quality of the wrecks. There are wrecks ranging from the 1700s to the 20th century and most are in incredibly good condition. Where in salt water can you find a wooden steam ship from the 1800s that looks like this:

DSC_0169.jpg

My first dive ever after checkouts was The Hyde off the Coast of North Carolina...where I was greeted by 20-30 large Sand Tiger Sharks...We bonded right away, so home is where my heart is.

Well, I don't have much experience with wrecks. There's a couple off the coast of Daytona that are ok, and I've dove a few in Puerto Rico, (but we cut those up and hauled them off). And I've dove several in the Keys. The last time I was on the spiegel grove I was at 135' and could see my boat on the surface. And while vis like that is not the norm I guess, 50-80' vis is the norm. I vote for the keys, but like I said, my experience is limited.

There simply is nothing to compare to the Great Lakes for variety and the quality of the wrecks. There are wrecks ranging from the 1700s to the 20th century and most are in incredibly good condition. Where in salt water can you find a wooden steam ship from the 1800s that looks like this:

DSC_0169.jpg

where was this taken?:D

I think this past Summer (late Summer) the NatGeo crew was up Isle Royal way doing some filming of the wrecks around there. We were up in Baraga and the locals where talking about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom