Best web site for wetsuit reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisi

New
Reaction score
Okay, I'm still fairly new to diving (2 years). I am looking to buy a wetsuit to dive in waters between 60-75. I'd like to know what web site you go to to get a top -10 list on the best wetsuits. Or a site that reviews many wetsuit brands and rates them from 1-5 or 1-10.....something like that.

Also I'll take suggestions from you guys as to where to shop or what to look for. I'd say may current budget is bewtween $100 - $150. But obviously if I can save money....:D

Lisi:
Okay, I'm still fairly new to diving (2 years). I am looking to buy a wetsuit to dive in waters between 60-75. I'd like to know what web site you go to to get a top -10 list on the best wetsuits. Or a site that reviews many wetsuit brands and rates them from 1-5 or 1-10.....something like that.

Also I'll take suggestions from you guys as to where to shop or what to look for. I'd say may current budget is bewtween $100 - $150. But obviously if I can save money....:D

You need to fill in your profile. where do you live? In North America?

As for which suit. It doen't work like that With a wet suit ALL that matters is how well it fits. For example "ONeal" might be a realy good brand but no-way do they fit me so for me they are usless. Body Glove makes a suit that fits me so that is what I use. Of all the gear you use the ones that you just HAVE to try on are wetsuits, masks, gloves and boots. I would never order any of those unless it is an exact replacement for one that wore out. On your profile you left gender as "undisclosed". but if you are female the caution about actually trying one the suit goes double. Women are harder to fit

60-75 is a wide range. Some people would want a 7mm suit in 60F. Some could get by with a 5mm and in 75F a 7mm suit would be really uncomfortable unless you left it unzipped or used not hood. You might think about a 5mm suit and a 3mm hooded vest and go with that in 60F and skip the hood in 75F waters. A lot depends on you and if you get cold easy.

The trend in wetsuits lately is to use softer neoprene. This is good because it makes then fit better but the soft rubber compress more at depth and is not as strong and does not last as long in use. I think it is best to find a suit made with the harder material that just happens to fit you. You will have to try on many brands of suit. The ultra-strecht rubber allows them to sell the suit over the Internet because the suit has so much stretch it will likley fit. The brand name matters very llittle

I so like the words of the gentleman from Redondo Beach that I shall take them as my own.

Good post Chris.

Pete

Thanks to all for the reply. ChrisA, I agree that personal fit is everything. I apply the same rule when I buy a men's dress suit. It looks good hanging off the rack but trying it on is the true indicator. However, since I'm new to buying wetsuits it helps to have a starting point, if you will ,to understand where to begin looking. That is why I ask for these top ten review sites. It gives me an idea of brands & models that have tested OVERALL best with consumers. Once I have a handful of proven performers (recommended wetsuits) I can go out and begin trying these on to see which suit eventually becomes the best suit for me. I don't intend to just buy one off the net without doing my homework and/or trying it on first.

By the way, "Lisi" (log name) is my wife and the inquiry I'm making here is for both of us so your suggestions are certainly appreaciated. My wife logged onto this web site first and I'm just using her log name to generate this conversation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom