Best way to vent a lycra hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I know how to make a vent hole in neoprene but I have a new lycra hood that I dove for the first time today and it collected enough air to to get Eric to laugh and call me a cone head at the SI.

I need to make one or two vent holes but on vacation so no access to a sewing machine. Can I just cut or will it ravel if I leave the edges raw. Maybe singe the edges?

Thanks.

I take a piece of wire and heat it up and then 'melt' holes through it. If not it is really amazing how much bouancy you can gain in your cone head.

With and sheet rubber the key to preventing a tear is a smooth round hole. I don't think I'd burn anything. I'd use a hollow punch, nice clean round hole with no place for a tear to start.

Good luck.

Tobin

Thanks guys. And Tobin, thanks for the video. I'll have to remember that trick for work!

I'll let you know how it goes.

No more Ms Cone Head! I didn't have a hollow punch but I did have a sharp pair of scissors. I folded the fabric and cut out two small even holes each side of the center seam at the crown. Worked well and so far no sign of fraying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom