Best way to trim neoprene (hood)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-Aaron-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased a used DUI suit that I am very happy with, however I have one issue. The previous owner did a pretty shoddy trim job on the face skirt on the neoprene hood. Right now it is has a jagged an irregular line and there are a few edges that are a threatening to tear.

I would like to clean up the cut line and smooth out the jagged edges and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the best way to get a clean cut in neoprene. Should I just use sharp scissors? Do I need to apply any heat to the edge of the nylon to reduce fraying?

When I cut my hood I just used a pair of sharp scissors. No heating etc, just tried to do a continuous cut.

But I wasn't too picky about the result and it's never been an issue :)

Should I just use sharp scissors? Do I need to apply any heat to the edge of the nylon to reduce fraying?

I agree with jeckyll, scissors worked fine for me, too.

I don't think it's necessary to melt the nylon. That wasn't done by the factory on my new DUI hood, from the looks of it.

On my old DUI hood face seal I removed up to a quarter inch to get to healthier neoprene, but the rubber continues to deteriorate over time. I'll just trim it back again when needed.

The nylon fabric continues to fray, but melting the edge won't help that, since the fabric is so weak from sun exposure.

Now it's a good back-up hood for warmer water or, when used with my "ice cap" underhood, it's fine for colder water. :)

Dave C

Thanks for the tips :). Any suggestions for marking out a nice smooth curve? or did you guys just eyeball it? Sorry if I sound paranoid :p This hood already has a pretty decent chunk cut out of it, so I'm trying to preserve as much of the neoprene as I can.

-aaron-: I put on the hood, used a marker (one of those silver ink ones) to trace the shape I wanted while wearing it.

Then cut along the traced line.

Done.

:)

So you ARE supposed to trim neoprene neck seal? Thought you can trim only latex seals. I just got my new scubapro everdry and my face went red in 2 min having it on. Trying to stretch it now... Is trimming really recommended by manufactures?

Another problem: Putting the suit on i ripped small nicks in wrist seals with my nails (yes i know :no:) do i repair them with only glue or put something to cover the area also?
Thanks!!

just read again, you guys were talking about trimming hood... Anyway, question still valid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom