Best way to secure PONY hose/Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad phrasing on my part. I’m diving in Christmas Island and was in a hurry to get on a boat this morning when I made my initial post.

The legislation/regulations that I have personally read (Maldivian, Indonesian and Queensland Australia) requires divers to dive with an alternative air source (supply). I am not aware of any legislation/regulation that requires more than one alternative air source (supply).

I usually dive without an octopus when I dive with a pony.
Thanks! That makes more sense.

I guess I'm the odd man out, but I like to clip my pony reg to my left shoulder D ring (I'm slinging the pony on my left side). The reg hangs at a point where it is almost in my hands while diving. My octo is clipped to my right, and as I pretty much know my right from my left I'm not worried about confusing them. Plus I practice using the pony during safety stops (letting the DM know beforehand, if it's a guided dive). That said, I rarely use the pony anymore - mostly just when doing shore dives where we are often just a group of solo divers diving together (which I like).

2nd stage is retained with some bungee cord made into a choker around the valve for the upper bolt snap and a slide knot tied like a bungee necklace. Hose is retained with some 1.5" elastic webbing I sewed together with a pull handle. The whole set up works really well and is easy to deploy. Just grab the 2nd stage and pull.
View attachment 500304...
I`d used such bands for tank... it CAN slide from the ring of belt.. this belt has not tightening buckle.
It is not dangerous but disturbing.
Exist simple way to prevent it - just stay piece of narrow strap, and place it over the tanks bottom to another side of strap ring.

I`m used another way - standard tank buckle :)
h-736.jpg

and pocket - it is trim weight pocket :) (on the photo - composite tank)

another way without sewing or extra buckles (just tank belt)
h-566.jpg

h-629.jpg

I`d used such bands for tank... it CAN slide from the ring of belt.. this belt has not tightening buckle.
It is not dangerous but disturbing.
Exist simple way to prevent it - just stay piece of narrow strap, and place it over the tanks bottom to another side of strap ring.

I`m used another way - standard tank buckle :)
View attachment 500714
and pocket - it is trim weight pocket :) (on the photo - composite tank)

another way without sewing or extra buckles (just tank belt)
View attachment 500716
View attachment 500717

The webbing that I used for the Velcro strap around the bottom (instead of a cam buckle) is all rubber lined (for grip) and is retained by the vertical strap that goes up to the valve. It can't slide off the bottom of the tank unless the Velcro fails. I've had no issues with it moving at all, even when carrying g the tank by the strap. Now, if I was using a bigger, heavier tank, I definitely wouldn't go that route because I'd be worried about there being enough force to overcome the friction from the rubber straps.

Back
Top Bottom