Best way to secure PONY hose/Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm about to venture into the abyss of no return:)...yes, I'm going to experiment using a PONY in the Cayman Islands next week. I have a 13cf with a 28" hose attached to a DeepSix Brand new reg.

I have the long hose primary and necklace secondary from the main cylinder which leads to a good amount of hose surrounding my body. The PONY's intention is for emergency only and I'm trying to figure the best way to secure the 28" hose and reg to the tank that would....

keep the hose out of my way for the dive.
Allow quick access and ability to offer it to another diver.

I've played with velcro, rubber bands and bungees and nothing seems to meet my fancy and I refuse to just let the hose/reg hang out there....I have NOT used a boltsnap yet..

If you have ideas solutions and even better pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.

PLEASE lets not let this thread turn into a debate about the use of PONY's...we already have one of them going:)

TIA,

Dive Rite deluxe hose retainer for hose.

Dive Rite Hose Retainer, Deluxe

Take a loop of thin bungee cord and put it around tank neck to hold second stage close to pony. Make sure the loop is small enough to hold second stage close to cylinder. I see a lot of people just use hose retainer and the second stage is flopping all over the place.

Oh, and I tried pony reg with shorter hose. I found a 40" hose just worked better. You might find that to be the case.

Sorry, I don't have any pics.

I "sidemount" mine using a ring bungee off my backplate, so this was the rigging solution I made.

2nd stage is retained with some bungee cord made into a choker around the valve for the upper bolt snap and a slide knot tied like a bungee necklace. Hose is retained with some 1.5" elastic webbing I sewed together with a pull handle. The whole set up works really well and is easy to deploy. Just grab the 2nd stage and pull.

IMG_20190120_142437554.jpg

IMG_20190120_142331215.jpg

IMG_20190120_142437554.jpg

IMG_20190120_142517828.jpg

IMG_20190120_142611466.jpg

PLEASE lets not let this thread turn into a debate about the use of PONY's...we already have one of them going:)
TIA,

Dang it!!! I wanted to ask you if you knew you had poor skills and were gonna die. Buzz kill. :)

I am also seriously following the thread as an interested party.

I second the Dive Rite hose retainer. They have a narrow and a wide. Pay the extra for the wide. :)

On an aluminum 19 I'm using 2 of the ball bungies they sell for tarps (had them lying around, work too well to replace). One near bottom, one near tip. Like others with the elastic, just yank the second stage to deploy, and the ball makes it easy to re- stow

On an aluminum 19 I'm using 2 of the ball bungies they sell for tarps (had them lying around, work too well to replace). One near bottom, one near tip. Like others with the elastic, just yank the second stage to deploy, and the ball makes it easy to re- stow
Ok, I just purchased three different sizes from Amazon....the Dive Right product isn’t available until after my trip? The bungees should do the trick...or I might even try an older knee brace I have laying around.

Thanks to all.

Check the diving legislation/regulations in places where you dive. They usually require divers to have only one alternative air source. You should not require an octopus.

My setup is to use stage rigging to mount the pony like a stage bottle, but instead of storing the regulator on the stage bottle, I necklace the pony regulator. On a smaller pony (such as a 13cf) I personally prefer not to store the regulator on the pony on the bottle. For a s40, I would use a regular stage setup.

There are a variety of mounting options and regulator storing options.

I use two 1" strips cut from an old tire innertube, one near the top, one near the bottom of the tank. Just give the second stage a yank and it all comes easily out.

I also tuck the mouthpiece between the hose and the tank.... keeps it a tight package but still easily grabbed. Soon as I can figure out posting pictures... I'll show you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom