Best Way to Mount 3.0 cu. ft. Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased a Spare Air 3.0 and wanted to get some advice on the best way to attach it to my BCD.

The instruction booklet shows that you can put it across your waist, or on the right side of your BCD or attached to a tank band.

Was wondering how people out there attach it. Also, was wondering what's the purpose of that coiled plastic cord that comes with the kit.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

One of my buddies carries one attached to a D-ring on his right side. I ask him to please not hand that thing to me just give me his Octo.

I connect mine to the right side, front. Strapped at top and bottom with D rings on my BC, it fits well and is never in the way. While others feel differently here, I like having it. Never needed it yet. If sharing air, I would use the octo. I keep the spare for me.

Was wondering how people out there attach it. Also, was wondering what's the purpose of that coiled plastic cord that comes with the kit.Sy
Mine is along right side of BC. I used a length of soft ½” climbing webbing, figure eighted loops at each end to clip it’s straps thru that runs on the inside of BC. The coil is a lanyard, presumably for retrieval if dropped and clipped to a back D ring.
I have two buddies with them. One is carried in a pocket the other hose clamped to main tank with some sort of tension spring buckle he fashioned.

I have seen two mounted on the upper part of the right hand BC strap of a husband and wife team. They were upside down so a quick tug downwards released it. They said it worked for them when they traveled south.

Dude don't let these yahoo's give you a load of crap about having SpareAir. At least it shows that you want to expand your options and try to be safe. just realize its limitaions as well as yours. If it were me I'd mount it down on a hip across a couple of D-rings, or maybe evn behind you like a butt bag as they are kinda bulky

I recently purchased a Spare Air 3.0 and wanted to get some advice on the best way to attach it to my BCD.

The instruction booklet shows that you can put it across your waist, or on the right side of your BCD or attached to a tank band.

Was wondering how people out there attach it. Also, was wondering what's the purpose of that coiled plastic cord that comes with the kit.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

I attach mine to my BC chest strap thru a neoprene holder that I got with my 1st Spare Air in '89.......works perfectly..I have also added a cheap $1.50 lanyard to the last one I purchased( the bottles are now a little different in diameter compared to the older models)as a little (cheap)backup insurance.......

My one serious question for all you spare air users is how many times have you practiced using it? I mean not just taking it out and pretending but actually done an ascent with it under controlled conditions with a buddy nearby just to see how it will work for you? I deploy my pony or al40 at least once every dive trip. It's how I know it is good for an ascent from 100 ft with a 3 minute stop with the 19. Or for a 40 minute ascent simulating deco with the 40.

Back to the tone this thread has taken though, I agree that butt mounting it may work. Position it correctly and you could refill it as well while you swim! Not necessarily with nitrox but a little methane!

I really don't want to get into a discussion about Spare Air vs. Pony bottles. I was going to say that at the outset but didn't think it was necessary. I guess it's necessary.
I had to chuckle! You are right - you shouldn't have to say it. But, ... My dive buddy carried one on his waist, in front, at times, and clipped to a BC (Ranger) right D-ring at others, and didn't think either position was a problem. He didn't try mounting it to a tank bank, because it was small enough to not need to. He later went to a larger pony (no criticism of SpareAir intended, just relating what he did), and mounted that to his tank. We / he never had an occassion to use the SpareAir in a true OOA, so I can't comment on ease of access in an emergency. But, in simulated situations, he could get to it quickly in either position.

I can actually think of a pretty good use for one. If I had a boat that I kept in the water all the time, they'd be good for using to clean the underside of the boat (average depth 3 feet based on average boat draft (that I could afford)).

Back
Top Bottom