Best way to mark/draw on webbing/cam straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's the problem: When using independent doubles I need to position the cam straps just right with AL80 type tanks or else the strap will end up sticking out off the side. For future reference I want to mark the spot where the cam strap goes through my inverted STA I use to rig the doubles.

Also when switching between wetsuits and drysuits or drysuit undergarments I need to adjust the webbing on my backplate, a few different markings might be helpful for that - at least one for 3mm wetsuit and another for drysuit with thick undergarments.

Basically I want to draw lines on webbing or otherwise marks spots on it. I've tried tip-ex (sp?) but it washes off after a while. Anyone have a good solution?

I use ID-My-Gear. It is like a liquid rubber that sticks to just about anything except silicone mask parts. See link below:

Home

It will leave a raised bead of colored material when applied. So if you don't like that I would suggest that you buy some colored thread, an upulstry needle and sew some colored marks into the webbing. I reccomend nylon thread because cotton will not hold up to being in water.

I used to use a Sharpie permanent marker. Works fine.

Yup, the Sharpie sliver marker works pretty well on black strap. May need to re-apply regularly though on something like the OP is asking about, as I think the "wear and tear" of the use of the item will cause it to fade pretty quickly.

I also use a Sharpie ... but then again, I don't use black webbing.

The black Sharpie shows up real nice on the pink stuff ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, you can get webbing in many colors. Do your straps in a color other than black and use a Sharpie.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep an eye out for silver sharpies.

I use ID-My-Gear. It is like a liquid rubber that sticks to just about anything except silicone mask parts. See link below:

Home

It will leave a raised bead of colored material when applied. So if you don't like that I would suggest that you buy some colored thread, an upulstry needle and sew some colored marks into the webbing. I reccomend nylon thread because cotton will not hold up to being in water.

How much do those things cost and where can you order them?

Here's the problem: When using independent doubles I need to position the cam straps just right with AL80 type tanks or else the strap will end up sticking out off the side. For future reference I want to mark the spot where the cam strap goes through my inverted STA I use to rig the doubles.

Also when switching between wetsuits and drysuits or drysuit undergarments I need to adjust the webbing on my backplate, a few different markings might be helpful for that - at least one for 3mm wetsuit and another for drysuit with thick undergarments.

Basically I want to draw lines on webbing or otherwise marks spots on it. I've tried tip-ex (sp?) but it washes off after a while. Anyone have a good solution?

If I want to permanently mark webbing I sew a pass with a contrasting colored thread, or black on black if you want to be "stealth" This does require a stout sewing machine.

Tobin

You could also try some talors chalk. I don't know how well it would stand up, but it is a waxy mark and should resist the water fairly well.

As for the silver sharpies, most stationary stores should carry them. I think they are $2 or $3 a piece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom