Best way to maintain or recondition latex seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much beeswax do you put on the zipper? For someone expecting candle wax, beeswax is *hard*. It doesn't seem to want to come off the puck easily, and it seems that you get little flecks in between the teeth, more than a smooth coating. However, it might be more my expectations: maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

Others have mentioned the McNett Seal Saver product. I believe that Tribolube also has a product that works well. I don't use either of them. I just rinse with freshwater after the dive, air dry, and then dust with unscented talc.

Depending on the condition of the seal, one might be able to use duct tape to patch it together to get a few more dives in. As has already been mentioned, if the seal is getting gummy, it's time to replace it. Period.

For me, latex neck seals last about 1.5 years or 70-125 dives. My wrist seals tend to last longer. YMMV. Keep 'em way from ozone or else you'll be replacing latex seals more often.

Maybe you should try one of the products, my seals last a lot longer than that. I retired my last suit to backup status after 6 years and it still has the original seals with twice the number of dives you are suggesting you get. It was this suit where the surface of the neckseal was getting gummy before I started to use Seal Saver on a regular basis and that was 2 years before I retired it.

they used to have links for each products MSDS sheet, there you can see if the silicone is 100% soluble in water.

note, the Silicone Spray is NOT water soluble

UV Tech ... you'll see an immediate change in the way the seals feel and look

I didnt much like the zipper wax, does like you described .. slides better with the McNett on it

but .. I do not have anywhere near the dives on my suit that these others have
just my observations and from talking to McNett and DUI

How much beeswax do you put on the zipper? For someone expecting candle wax, beeswax is *hard*. It doesn't seem to want to come off the puck easily, and it seems that you get little flecks in between the teeth, more than a smooth coating. However, it might be more my expectations: maybe that's how it's supposed to be?
@tmassey: I've used a few different kinds of waxes. The Trident product works just fine. It's soft, applies easily, and is affordable. I'm not sure what kind of wax it is.
Maybe you should try one of the products, my seals last a lot longer than that. I retired my last suit to backup status after 6 years and it still has the original seals with twice the number of dives you are suggesting you get. It was this suit where the surface of the neckseal was getting gummy before I started to use Seal Saver on a regular basis and that was 2 years before I retired it.
@grf88: I've been meaning to order the Tribolube stuff. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. In any case, it isn't a huge deal to replace them myself. I don't understand why people mail off their drysuits to get simple repairs like seal replacements done.

I've heard some divers with really old drysuits have seals that lasted a ridiculous amount of time (10 yrs.?) without the application of any seal saver solution at all. I suspect that some of those old suits had a better quality latex seal installed. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom