best way to Klein

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquajon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
we are going to be on Curacao Sept 4 for a week and wanted to take a trip over to Klein to do a little diving and relaxing, what is the best way to get over there and be able to see some of the island as well as some diving.

I never been to Curacao Klein, been to Curacao many times. Every time i read about Klein i think it is not worth it and it is a tourist trap. Do not go for the spectacular diving, i heard the diving on the mainland is just as good.

I've heard the diving is great and well worth it, but only if you can go with a good smaller op or someone local who knows where to go, and not with a dive/snorkel cattleboat tour. (I was told this by a guy who runs a dive op on another island now, but used to live in Curacao and would go on their own boat.) As to seeing the island, I'm not sure there is much of anything to see.

One option: Curacao Mermaid Boat Trips - No experience with them so this may be one of the aforementioned cattle boats.

Ocean Encounters also goes out there one day a week. But only to dive: Special Dive Trips | Ocean Encounters Diving Curacao
I was looking at Ocean Encounters site again recently because I was thinking about checking out the new Hyatt sometime and saw that trip. Would definitely be curious what it's like.

There's also Dive Charter Curacao (which I have not used, yet.)

One option: Curacao Mermaid Boat Trips - No experience with them so this may be one of the aforementioned cattle boats.
I went on a trip with the Mermaid boat, and even though I didnt dive, I was not very happy with the way the company operates their excursion.

My feedback is with a thread about Klein Curacao here>> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/206372-klein-curacao-trip-report.html

And an extensive review I posted on tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147277-d1059998-r32315181-Mermaid_Boat_Trips-Curacao.html

thanks for the feedback. I did not realize it was a all day thing. we are on vacation and damm i do not want to get up early.

The main reason to go to Klein Curaçao is to tell others you've been there. If that is important to you: go.
As mentioned it is a full day trip. To the island takes a couple of hours going straight against the waves and with a party boat that means chance of seasickness. The way back is more pleasant. If possible go with a sailing boat that can deal better with the waves. The party boat companies own some huts for shelter against rain and the hot sun. Others have no right to use them and any other shade is not there. On the island is nothing but a lighthouse and a shipwreck on the rough side. That’s not divable.

The diving is a little better that on the main island, but the difference is not that great. There is slightly more visibility, but also more chance of strong current. Personally I haven’t been there in thirteen years and am not missing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom