Best way to get rid of old boat gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
So I need to get rid of a few gallons of old boat gas... (2 cycle).

Any suggestions of a decent way of doing it?

BTW... if you've got 4 cycle (or maybe 2 cycle) and you need to get rid of it and you just happen to have a "rental car", I've done that before in the past. Dump it in the rental car and put 10-15 gallons of "new gas" in with it. But this time I don't have a rental car to use for disposal purposes.

let it evaporate?

how long would it take 1-2 gallons to evaportate? I just don't like leaving a can of gas out with the lid off.

I was using it in my weed eater last year, but it got too bad and started running rough.

gas evaporates pretty fast, burning it could be a little hazardous. I like the rental car idea, how about some youngster needing a little gas.

Burn it off or pour it on a gravel road are fairly eco-friendly. Finding a disposal point is most-righteous, and pouring it along a fenceline kills weeds good!

Put it in your car or lawnmower. It burns fine. Probably not a good idea with a high end car, but my '92 Ranger has used a couple of gallons of 50:1 2 cycle mix no problem.

Yep, car or lawn mower is fine. I would mix it with fresh gas, how much depends on how old it is. The 2 cycle oil is not a problem when mixed with fresh gas. If it's very old, more than a year or so, I would put it in a metal container of some sort and burn it.

If it still smells like gas, I put it in my old PU truck. Diluted in a 15 gal tank, I've never had any problem. The lawnmower may not be as tolerant to bad gas.

If it smells more like turpentine, find something to paint - like an old dirt road.

Buy a cheap 5 gallon plastic can, put the gas in it. Leave it at the gas pump next time you fill up, someone will steal it.

DennisS:
Buy a cheap 5 gallon plastic can, put the gas in it. Leave it at the gas pump next time you fill up, someone will steal it.

heh... boy that's the cheapest solution (besides pouring it out).

It'd almost be worth doing a "stake out" to see who gets it. too funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom