Question Best way to get Indonesian rupiah cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ummmm… ok if you want to carry around a wad of about 24 mill IDR with you in Indonesia go for it. But I don’t know a single other foreigner that would do this. That’s a lot of money, you don’t really want to leave that in the hotel room (even in the hotel room safe, those are not actually safe) so you need to carry that around with you all day everywhere you go. But thats your choice, if it works for you it works. Personally after spending years and years traveling around Indonesia and many man other countries I have found just withdrawing cash from ATM’s as you need it works much better.
Hohumm.. Looks like you're overdramatizing a bit about safety in Indonesia, buddy. Calm down.
When was then you were robbed your money? Me, never in the last 25+ trips.
Don't worry for me I don't need to know of others, I've been doing this in the past 20 years and worked great. I would think you've got more work to do on your own anxiety, get some travel in Mozambique and we'll talk about safety and real anxiety then.

Remember local people get cash the same way so they need ATM’s as well.
Bule minded generalization.
None of my dive guides I am paying Millions to have a card. They either keep money home or go to the bank retrieve bank notes. For more important transaction they will use mobile banking apps.

As far as finding ATM’s you mentioned it being difficult in Flores or Tulamben well I lived in Amed for 10 months and I have been all over Flores (not just for diving but for traveling), Sumba, and Sumbawa, and was always able to find an ATM. Not to sure how long ago you went to these areas but now a days its pretty easy to find ATM‘s.
Well, not later than last week if you want to know last time I was in Indonesia (for the second time this year btw).
FYI there is no ATM working in Tulamben UNLIKE in Amed, you should visit more often before answering too quickly. Living closeby doesn't prevent from writing uncorrect things (It's not the first time i noticed.).
I have been all over Flores as well traveling for a few times, would you pls give me the adress of an ATM in Moni? or if you take Sumbawa can you name somewhere to withdraw money in Poja?
Don't need to answer that is a rhetorical question, there is no answer. :) .

On the other hand the only times I've had issues paying in Indonesia was with credit cards, sometimes rejected.
Oh yeah and btw, tell how do you withdraw 10MIDR in a row at an ATM limited to 1,5MIDR per transaction without being rejected by your own bank... i guess you know that there are controls on the number of similar transactions you can achieve with a Credit card.

Now since you like overcomplex solutions : any suggestions with cryptocurrencies or derivative banking instruments? :wink:

I have never been robed in Indonesia it is very safe country when did I ever say it was not????????? I was just making a general comment that that carrying around that much cash (in any country) is not the smartest idea. But like I said if it works for you great, do what works for you im no overdramatizing it I am simply just expressing my opinion. Also funny thing is I was just in Mozambique about 4-5 months ago thought it was wonderful place I'm not to sure what your referring to this in the context you are seem a little judgmental/raciest. Also have been in Ethiopia, DRC, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Namibia, SA, and Zambia if your wondering, as well as most of N. Africa

Come on stop over dramatizing everything, use some common sense of course there is not an ATM on every street corner especially when you were talking Sumba or Sumbawa so yes your right (so sorry im wrong and your the knower of all) there is not ATM's on 1ft centers but really use some common sense, just like its suuuuch as hassle to drive a whole 5min-10min down the road from Tulamben to the BRI in Culik.

I pay with my American and Australian banks card for everything never ever been rejected. And yes as mentioned above I have the Schwab bank card it lets you withdrawal multiple times in a row and does not block you. It only blocks you once you reach your Schwab limit which you can set and that is way above 10mil. Since you are the professional and know all please confirm this for me as well Contact us

get some travel in Mozambique and we'll talk about safety and real anxiety then.

Bule minded generalization.
None of my dive guides I am paying Millions to have a card. They either keep money home or go to the bank retrieve bank notes. For more important transaction they will use mobile banking apps.

Really????

Very judgmental and a little bit raciest. Nothing wrong with Mozambique.

Also I am not white, and I actually grew up in Indonesia. So no I don't have a Bule minded generalization

I was just making a general comment that that carrying around that much cash (in any country) is not the smartest idea.
Errh... aren't we talking about Indonesia in this forum? Not other countries.
So you'll agree with me there is no problem with safety in Indonesia.
Good! At least a point we agree on.

Also funny thing is I was just in Mozambique about 4-5 months ago thought it was wonderful place I'm not to sure what your referring to this in the context you are seem a little judgmental/raciest.
Yep, very nice country except for the level of corruption and safety issues. (Apparently you missed something about the current situation in Cabo Delgado)
Woke up one day in Nacala , went out of my room a police officer stopped me and asked "Bom dia, dame dineiro!" I won't translate as I suppose you speak fluent portuguese as well.
I fortunately hired a local tanzanian spotter in Ilha when I was doing a photo report with my 3 cameras in my photo bag, at sunset we saw a white guy running at us for help, another photographer who had been assaulted and robbed all his cameras because he thought Mozambique was a charming country and didn't think hiring a spotter to protect him was a good idea.
A few days after I saw two backpackers stolen all of their stuff at the minute they sat on the beach in Pemba.
I won't even talk about one my friend who got his wallet and half the content of his backpack stolen in Tofo, I guess its the tourist trail routine.

Back to the topic : do you think you would see that level of insecurity in Indonesia? My point is that I wouldn't carry huge amounts of money in Mozambique while I am quite confident in Indonesia.
Unlike what you're pretending, and I do not feel I have the need to prove my credentials in travels in my 57 years of living, there are no GENERAL rules but behaviors you adapt locally.
There is no problem carrying cash in Indonesia, unless you go binge drinking in Kuta or Trawangan with the losers crowd.

use some common sense, just like its suuuuch as hassle to drive a whole 5min-10min down the road from Tulamben to the BRI in Culik.
You mean it is easier to find a scooter to rent or call a driver, drive the road up to Kubu (which is closer than Culik, mind you) so you can withdraw a limited amount of money so you'll have to come back again in a few days (Schwab cards are unknown outside 'murica, never ever seen one in Europe).
Yeah... looks very enticing and so practical. (<-- Place irony here)

I'm not to sure what your referring to this in the context you are seem a little judgmental/raciest.
You're not sure what I am refering to but I'm "being judgmental and racist"?
That is a such a very well articulated argument and point of view of your own.
Just to make sure : In fact you're saying that you don't understand what I'm saying BUT I am a racist (and of course, you're not judgmental... at all... ).
Have you looked down the definition of judgmental? (Sorry for being ironic)

Also I am not white, and I actually grew up in Indonesia. So no I don't have a Bule minded generalization
Would you pls tell me in what matter the color of your skin affects this discussion? Isn't that the most racist statement btw?
Are you indonesian? If no : then you're a bule, but that isn't even my point I wrote "Bule minded" which means applying foreign logics. Otherwise speak with the locals and you'll quickly see not everybody owns a card (or maybe my guides are only ones without cards in this vast country. How unlucky am I...)

btw I grew up in Vanuatu and it doesn't make me a melanesian, even though I used to play football everyday with my friends melanesians or vietnamese originated.
Call me racist, that is SO FUNNY. (I'l give you a quote from the french author Courteline : "Being named an idiot by an imbecile is such a voluptuous pleasure")

Errh... aren't we talking about Indonesia in this forum? Not other countries.
So you'll agree with me there is no problem with safety in Indonesia.
Good! At least a point we agree on.

Yep, very nice country except for the level of corruption and safety issues. (Apparently you missed something about the current situation in Cabo Delgado)
Woke up one day in Nacala , went out of my room a police officer stopped me and asked "Bom dia, dame dineiro!" I won't translate as I suppose you speak fluent portuguese as well.
I fortunately hired a local tanzanian spotter in Ilha when I was doing a photo report with my 3 cameras in my photo bag, at sunset we saw a white guy running at us for help, another photographer who had been assaulted and robbed all his cameras because he thought Mozambique was a charming country and didn't think hiring a spotter to protect him was a good idea.
A few days after I saw two backpackers stolen all of their stuff at the minute they sat on the beach in Pemba.
I won't even talk about one my friend who got his wallet and half the content of his backpack stolen in Tofo, I guess its the tourist trail routine.

Back to the topic : do you think you would see that level of insecurity in Indonesia? My point is that I wouldn't carry huge amounts of money in Mozambique while I am quite confident in Indonesia.
Unlike what you're pretending, and I do not feel I have the need to prove my credentials in travels in my 57 years of living, there are no GENERAL rules but behaviors you adapt locally.
There is no problem carrying cash in Indonesia, unless you go binge drinking in Kuta or Trawangan with the losers crowd.

You mean it is easier to find a scooter to rent or call a driver, drive the road up to Kubu (which is closer than Culik, mind you) so you can withdraw a limited amount of money so you'll have to come back again in a few days (Schwab cards are unknown outside 'murica, never ever seen one in Europe).
Yeah... looks very enticing and so practical. (<-- Place irony here)

You're not sure what I am refering to but I'm "being judgmental and racist"?
That is a such a very well articulated argument and point of view of your own.
Just to make sure : In fact you're saying that you don't understand what I'm saying BUT I am a racist (and of course, you're not judgmental... at all... ).
Have you looked down the definition of judgmental? (Sorry for being ironic)

Would you pls tell me in what matter the color of your skin affects this discussion? Isn't that the most racist statement btw?
Are you indonesian? If no : then you're a bule, but that isn't even my point I wrote "Bule minded" which means applying foreign logics. Otherwise speak with the locals and you'll quickly see not everybody owns a card (or maybe my guides are only ones without cards in this vast country. How unlucky am I...)

btw I grew up in Vanuatu and it doesn't make me a melanesian, even though I used to play football everyday with my friends melanesians or vietnamese originated.
Call me racist, that is SO FUNNY. (I'l give you a quote from the french author Courteline : "Being named an idiot by an imbecile is such a voluptuous pleasure")

1672860451411.png

The advice given here by others is not overthinking it. Those who have experience living or traveling to Indonesia have learned the system. Someone like myself and perhaps the OP are first-timers to Indonesia and are asking our community for helpful tips, so please don't bash us for seeking valuable information.

As a follow-up to my earlier post, yes, I may have a stack of Rupiah to carry around, which doesn't bother me. It's with my passport and credit cards, and if that is lost or stolen, my problems are much bigger than losing a few hundred dollars. I travel with a portable safe with a cable and combination lock. I never use hotel safes because your valuables are never "safe." I don't get housekeeping in my hotel room, so no one is permitted to enter. That eliminates permitted access to the room. I also put a sign on the hotel room door that says "No Housekeeping, No Entry" in the local language, because sometimes my instruction to the front desk people doesn't make it to the housekeeping staff. These practices have evolved over time and from experience.

By bringing Rupiah with me, I don't have to hunt down a trustworthy ATM or look for skimmers on ATMs or worry about my ATM card not working or being accepted or daily limits. I carry my Schwab card as an adjunct to my cash on hand and I'll use it if I'm running low on local currency.

The advice given here by others is not overthinking it. Those who have experience living or traveling to Indonesia have learned the system. Someone like myself and perhaps the OP are first-timers to Indonesia and are asking our community for helpful tips, so please don't bash us for seeking valuable information.

As a follow-up to my earlier post, yes, I may have a stack of Rupiah to carry around, which doesn't bother me. It's with my passport and credit cards, and if that is lost or stolen, my problems are much bigger than losing a few hundred dollars. I travel with a portable safe with a cable and combination lock. I never use hotel safes because your valuables are never "safe." I don't get housekeeping in my hotel room, so no one is permitted to enter. That eliminates permitted access to the room. I also put a sign on the hotel room door that says "No Housekeeping, No Entry" in the local language, because sometimes my instruction to the front desk people doesn't make it to the housekeeping staff. These practices have evolved over time and from experience.

By bringing Rupiah with me, I don't have to hunt down a trustworthy ATM or look for skimmers on ATMs or worry about my ATM card not working or being accepted or daily limits. I carry my Schwab card as an adjunct to my cash on hand and I'll use it if I'm running low on local currency.

FYI: The rupiah isn’t on the list of physical currencies that Wells Fargo will provide. Maybe it is possible you can request it, but it isn’t on the long the list of currencies they say they offer. I had looked to try to obtain some physical rupiah currency before leaving the states, but found surprisingly few alternatives given that Indonesia is a rather large country from a population standpoint. The only option I found would have meant wiring money to some company I had never heard of (I just brought some dollars as backup and then used the ATMs to get rupiah) b

@Karen Dancheck
Could you please post your itinerary so we know where you might need to spend Rupiah? My ATM/credit card doe not work outside HK.

She already posted her travel plans and resorts she will stay at.
My HSBC HK ATM card works fine outside of HK.

FYI: The rupiah isn’t on the list of physical currencies that Wells Fargo will provide. Maybe it is possible you can request it, but it isn’t on the long the list of currencies they say they offer. I had looked to try to obtain some physical rupiah currency before leaving the states, but found surprisingly few alternatives given that Indonesia is a rather large country from a population standpoint. The only option I found would have meant wiring money to some company I had never heard of (I just brought some dollars as backup and then used the ATMs to get rupiah) b
I happened to be in one of my local branches of Wells Fargo last week and inquired about purchasing the rupiah. She said they can get it. Maybe that's a recent addition to their list, and I'll check again in a few months.

I happened to be in one of my local branches of Wells Fargo last week and inquired about purchasing the rupiah. She said they can get it. Maybe that's a recent addition to their list, and I'll check again in a few months.

You get a better rate changing US$ in Indonesia than buying Rupiah in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom