Question Best way to get Indonesian rupiah cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Karen Dancheck
There are only a handful few of money exchangers at Bali International airport and the rate is rotten if compared with those at Denpasar. You are arriving at 03:25pm( not 03:35am) so nothing to worry about. The airport taxi is expensive but the distance to down town Denpasar eg. Kuta Beach is short. You do not have much choice on transport, there ia alternative way but why bothered.
Use "Blue Bird" taxi if possible. But you won't find it outsdie the arrival hall.

One word of warning on changing money in Denpasar: Some of the exchange rate is too good to be true!! Just do not change large sum of money in one go/operator. Count the money very carefully and do not hand over your money first. They might give a fake one back to you.
Find out what the current Rupiah looks like.

Do not put all your valuable in one shoulder bag. Bag snatchers on motor bike, happened to a couple I knew and their holiday in Bali was ruined on Day 1.
My ATM/credit card doe not work outside HK. I have been travelling(backpacking) for many yrs and have yet to lose any money. Be sensible.
There are many easy soft targets. Do not advertise your wealth, being a foreigner you are already stand out among the locals.

Could you please post your itinerary so we know where you might need to spend Rupiah?

There at ATM machines at the airport. Money changers are all around and open all sorts of hours. If your atm card gets stolen then so does other things like your passports and cash. I've not had anything stolen from me in over 40 years of traveling in Indonesia. By the way you should be more aware of being scammed of your US$ Cash at a money changer than from using an ATM Card at an ATM machine.

As a person with only US, EU, and Australian bank accounts that has part time lived in Indonesia for many years now (and i spend about 250+ days a year traveling around the world) I agree with with is said above about just use your ATM card. Keep it simple. And this really goes for any country not just Indonesia.

Be very very very careful with money changers. They are like magician with slid of hand counting

You will see that 99% of foreigners that are ”locals“/long term stayers/backpackers, etc just use ATM card to get cash and there is a reason for this. There are ATM‘s everywhere (especially in the airport) I have used them for years in Indonesia and never had a problem with my American ATM cards.

Also travel hack: the Charles Schwab high yield investor debit card has zero foreign transaction fees and gives you one of the most competitive exchange rates you can get. Do some google research on this card its amazing!!! I have 2 of them and it has saved me thousands in fees and I have used it in 70+ countries no issues. Also for more travel hacks as others have mentioned get your self a Wise account Revolt is not to bad as well. (I have both) this is the best way to transfer larger sums of money internationally. Also I have a Wise and Revolt ATM cards that are back up ATM cards.

Carrying lots of US cash is kind of a thing of the past. Now a days with digital banking and ATM cards with no foreign transaction fees. It’s just much much safer easier to just use local ATM’s.

@Karen Dancheck
There are only a handful few of money exchangers at Bali International airport and the rate is rotten if compared with those at Denpasar. You are arriving at 03:25pm( not 03:35am) so nothing to worry about. The airport taxi is expensive but the distance to down town Denpasar eg. Kuta Beach is short. You do not have much choice on transport, there ia alternative way but why bothered.
Use "Blue Bird" taxi if possible. But you won't find it outsdie the arrival hall.

One word of warning on changing money in Denpasar: Some of the exchange rate is too good to be true!! Just do not change large sum of money in one go/operator. Count the money very carefully and do not hand over your money first. They might give a fake one back to you.
Find out what the current Rupiah looks like.

Do not put all your valuable in one shoulder bag. Bag snatchers on motor bike, happened to a couple I knew and their holiday in Bali was ruined on Day 1.
My ATM/credit card doe not work outside HK. I have been travelling(backpacking) for many yrs and have yet to lose any money. Be sensible.
There are many easy soft targets. Do not advertise your wealth, being a foreigner you are already stand out among the locals.

Could you please post your itinerary so we know where you might need to spend Rupiah?

For taxi options the best is to just use the app called “Grab“ or ”Gojek“ these are Asias version of Uber when you walk out of the DPS airport or GGK there is even a fancy aircon’ed Grab waiting station. Like Uber you just punch in you destination your given the exact price (same price the locals pay so you know your not getting ripped off) and then they come pick you up and drop you off. Like Uber no cash needed all payment is done through the app with your credit card. You can also get food delivered, packaged picked up etc. Also since the price is based on your destination the driver has an incentive to take you the quickest and shortest route. Unlike in the metered local taxis where they can take the ”blue” that does not have a clue where there going on the longer rough and rack up the meter cost.

Save yourself the hassle and buy the Rupiah from your local bank in the U.S. and take it with you. IMO, tipping is best in the local currency. Don't bother with taking clean, flat, unfolded, not bent U.S. currency to exchange in Indonesia. Too much effort! Wells Fargo sells foreign currency for a small fee. I pay $7.50 per order, not per currency. If you have any left over at the end of your trip, tip or donate to a local citizen in the airport. It's the last place you'll need that currency before returning to the U.S. As mentioned from another poster, you can also open a free Schwab account, get the ATM card, and use it worldwide with no fees, including no ATM or conversion fees. Example: If you take out $100, your bank statement will show a withdrawal of $100. Fee free! I used it in Europe this summer and it was perfect for needing currency in non-Euro countries.

Save yourself the hassle and buy the Rupiah from your local bank in the U.S. and take it with you. IMO, tipping is best in the local currency. Don't bother with taking clean, flat, unfolded, not bent U.S. currency to exchange in Indonesia. Too much effort! Wells Fargo sells foreign currency for a small fee. I pay $7.50 per order, not per currency. If you have any left over at the end of your trip, tip or donate to a local citizen in the airport. It's the last place you'll need that currency before returning to the U.S. As mentioned from another poster, you can also open a free Schwab account, get the ATM card, and use it worldwide with no fees, including no ATM or conversion fees. Example: If you take out $100, your bank statement will show a withdrawal of $100. Fee free! I used it in Europe this summer and it was perfect for needing currency in non-Euro countries.
The largest bill in Indonesia is 100K Rupiah (about $6.40). So US$400 would be a stack of 62 100K bills (plus a single 50K). My guess is that stack would be almost 2"

I agree about the Schwab debit card, ATMs are plentiful in Indo, and as long as you use ones directly affiliated with a bank (say away from unbranded ones in grocery stores) It's just too easy to pull money as you need it

Has anyone in this thread used the Schwab card in ATMs in Indonesia? Specifically Sorong?

Unfortunately, that would be a very large stack of bills to be carrying on your person or even in your personal carry-on bag.

My father lived in Indonesia for 35 years. His wife was Indonesian and she was often critical of my dad exchanging US money and certainly wrong of me to do it on my own. She claimed that she would always get a better rate than we, bule, could get anywhere!

I'm not sure if that's the case for liveaboard staff in Sorong. It could be quite difficult for them. I really don't know.

In the Maldives, the crew was happy to get US $ because the company exchanged it for them, or it was easy for them to get it changed in Male during day off or hand off to spouse, etc.

If I recall correctly, I was told in Bangka and Lembeh, that USD was fine too because the company would change it for them. Some of the staff would go into Manado and take care of exchanging whatever USD managed to get to them directly rather than by way of the tip box.

I also learned in Raja Ampat on my first lob there years ago, that the guides were happy to get gear, like new SMBs were appreciated.

In Bali where the water is much colder, my beanies and especially, my bibbed hood was coveted. Unfortunately, I couldn't part with them at that time. Instead, I gave away my spare Mares fin clips.

I'm sure that someone would have been very grateful had I given up my fins too.

No one has ever turned down o-rings anywhere that I've been. I'm not calling o-rings a tip or a gift like a new (newer) SMB but you might be glad that you brought some for your own sake.

I can't recall where I was that the dm told me that they couldn't get quality o-rings.

Buffs are popular with some.

Carrying lots of US cash is kind of a thing of the past. Now a days with digital banking and ATM cards with no foreign transaction fees. It’s just much much safer easier to just use local ATM’s.

Not really a thing of the past, still happens and useful now.
I come at least twice a year to Indonesia and I often have to pay local guides on premise (not dive operations). I'm not either a fan of paying the local 3,5% credit card payment commission either, I prefer to give my money to other businesses than banks (not even speaking about my own bank fees).
Just imagine now you're in Flores or even not further than Tulamben in Bali and need some cash immediately : where is the next ATM working, how useful would be your ATM card?

The largest bill in Indonesia is 100K Rupiah (about $6.40). So US$400 would be a stack of 62 100K bills (plus a single 50K). My guess is that stack would be almost 2"

Nope, that's quite exagerated.
I often have to change around 1500 euros to nearby Sanur moneychangers (because of the reasons above) .
And that's about 2" thick, hence 400$ in rupiah would be closer to 1/2 inch. No big deal.
She claimed that she would always get a better rate than we, bule, could get anywhere!
I think this time is over now.
All licensed moneychangers in Ubud, Kuta, Sanur, etc have the same rate exchange. I remember the hunt for a better rate 10 years ago though, you don't have to worry now except for Bali airport where banks are pocketing hefty commisisons or shady unlicensed moneychangers in Kuta (but you rather have to recount thoroughly your notes or you like to play money games)

-----

Now I'm AMAZED every money instrument has been reviewed in this thread, except maybe for cryptocurrencies or derivative banking instruments while if we're coming down to earth, somebody was talking about a two weeks itinerary going through all inclusive operations such as Villa Markisa or Wakatobi resort.
Am I the only one to think some of the posts are going slightly overboard with uselessly complex solutions?

I come at least twice a year to Indonesia and I often have to pay local guides on premise (not dive operations). I'm not either a fan of paying the local 3,5% credit card payment commission either, I prefer to give my money to other businesses than banks (not even speaking about my own bank fees).
Just imagine now you're in Flores or even not further than Tulamben in Bali and need some cash immediately : where is the next ATM working, how useful would be your ATM card?

I often have to change around 1500 euros to nearby Sanur moneychangers (because of the reasons above) .
And that's about 2" thick, hence 400$ in rupiah would be closer to 1/2 inch. No big deal.

All licensed moneychangers in Ubud, Kuta, Sanur, etc have the same rate exchange. I remember the hunt for a better rate 10 years ago though, you don't have to worry now except for Bali airport where banks are pocketing hefty commisisons or shady unlicensed moneychangers in Kuta (but you rather have to recount thoroughly your notes or you like to play money games)

-----

Now I'm AMAZED every money instrument has been reviewed in this thread, except maybe for cryptocurrencies or derivative banking instruments while if we're coming down to earth, somebody was talking about a two weeks itinerary going through all inclusive operations such as Villa Markisa or Wakatobi resort.
Am I the only one to think some of the posts are going slightly overboard with uselessly complex solutions?

Possibly overboard, not sure about useless. Overboard useless for OP but the rest of us travelers are reading too. I haven't been back since before covid. I'm not sure what will be best for me.

I will take my leftover local currencies and USD to use or exchange as required. I'll hope for the best with my debit cards. And I always have my sister in Singapore for emergencies. 😂

Has anyone in this thread used the Schwab card in ATMs in Indonesia? Specifically Sorong?

Yes there are plenty of ATM’s in Sorong and Waisai. The only one that I have found the Schwab card does not like is Mandiri Bank. I don’t know why and I have called them many times and they always tell me it should work now but it never does so I just gave up and avoid these. But you will find BNI, BCA, and other on the the island. Remember local people get cash the same way so they need ATM’s as well.

One heads up about Indonesian ATM’s especially in more remote areas like Sorong, have very low withdrawal limits. Many around 1.5mil some as low as 1mil and max I have ever seen is 3mil. So if you want to withdraw a lot of they you will need to do it multiple times. Also you will get machines that only dispense 50k bills as well so be prepared to have a massive stack of cash. Most I have ever done is about 8mi and never had an issue doing that many transaction back to back with the Schwab card.

-----

ummmm… ok if you want to carry around a wad of about 24 mill IDR with you in Indonesia go for it. But I don’t know a single other foreigner that would do this. That’s a lot of money, you don’t really want to leave that in the hotel room (even in the hotel room safe, those are not actually safe) so you need to carry that around with you all day everywhere you go. But thats your choice, if it works for you it works. Personally after spending years and years traveling around Indonesia and many man other countries I have found just withdrawing cash from ATM’s as you need it works much better.

As far as finding ATM’s you mentioned it being difficult in Flores or Tulamben well I lived in Amed for 10 months and I have been all over Flores (not just for diving but for traveling), Sumba, and Sumbawa, and was always able to find an ATM. Not to sure how long ago you went to these areas but now a days its pretty easy to find ATM‘s. I have been to some extremely remote areas in Indonesia for cave diving exportation, last area I was in was Muna Island in SE Sulawesi and I was the 3rd foreigner to visit that area for the year. They do not even a super market in the area (only super local street markets) you have drive across the island and then take a public ferry to Baobao to go to an actual super market. But there was still ATM‘s. Or even more remote try South Papua like Tamika this place is wild but still found ATM’s. Or one time I go stuck in Biak for a day and still had ATM’s there as well.

As your last sentence said seems like many of the post are going overboard. Just keep it simple, same as you would back home. If you need cash to the ATM and withdrawal what you need. Pretty easy and simple, don’t over think it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom