Best way to find a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by DivingGal

If you think Tavi needs a drysuit in Rochester, I hate to think what you think I need north of him (BTW - it's now wetsuit warmth)

Heck, it's been wetsuit warmth up here for 6 weeks now!

(Really, really, really got to get a job so I can get that drysuit ;-0 )

Originally posted by Ontario Diver

Heck, it's been wetsuit warmth up here for 6 weeks now!

(Really, really, really got to get a job so I can get that drysuit ;-0 )

if it make you feel any better -- my dry suit is in for "fixing" 'cause it was pretending to be a wetsuit! ;-0 ;-0 ;-0

Actually I was refering to the windy, wet, bitter cold, glacial like Rochester winters. Brrrrrrr :cold:

Other than that Rochester is real nice.

Joining a club would be my first suggestion. I also agree that taking additional courses might be beneficial. You are very likely to run into a number of folks in similar circumstances and with similar interests.

To be honest, I found myself in the same dire straights for many years. My wife does not now, nor will she ever, dive. She is adamant on the issue and I will not push her.

This presents a problem for me in getting a buddy, even when in a club, since I have to balance my "diving trips" with "fun trips" for the non diving family. As a result, our family trips are usually not with the club, but to vacation spots where I can squeeze a few dives into our schedule.

Local dives to the Flower Gardens or to the offshore rigs aren't a problem, since I have a couple of regular dive buddies here in town.

(btw, One of my "reggler" diving buddies, Joanna, lives in Austin. Maybe you could hitch up with her. She is, or is working on, her DM and she just got back from Cozumel. She's a good diver and a real pal.)

However, because of my lack of "travel buddies" on our family trips, I often have to show up on the boat and secure a buddy right then.

This is not my preference and it is not a recommended option for you, although it is doable.

Many of these "boat" buddies have been worse than no buddies at all. I either get stuck with an air hog, a panic attack waiting to happen, or somebody who begins asking me a series of scary questions.

Like, "How deep is it here? Oh my, I ain't never been in da ocean before, this is scary.

Then, later on, " Ya know, I ain't never been below 20' cuz all my divin' has been in the river behind my house holding on to a boat anchor while I wuz looking for fishing tackle. Do you think 50lbs is too much lead for me? "

And finally, "Oh, and do ya have a light for my cigarette?"

(TRUE STORY-no kidding, the guy ignored my advice and dropped of the boat, sincking like a lead balloon in 100' of water off Destin, FL. I couldn't desend that fast. No way. Thank Goodness, he turned out to be an okay diver. But only after he ditched some of that weight at the anchor line.).

So.....I DO NOT recommend showing up on a boat and "chancing it", although it is truly a case of "do as I say, not as I do..."

(Heck, I will be doing that in Panama City in two weeks.)

However, I will dive alone when allowed to do so, because by comparison it is safer when you are properly equipped. I do not recommend that, either, but it IS my preference.

Yup. Join a club. Nice people, common theme.

Originally posted by Jeblis

Other than that Rochester is real nice.

Thanks for the Laugh :D

I agree, but unfortunately I can't afford to vacation 4 months out of the year!! :wink:

(actually the last 2 winters haven't been that bad, I only had to clean the driveway once last winter. Unbelievable!!!)

Luckily after searching around and thanks to everyones advice, I've found that Austin has a strong diving community.

I'd like to do the AOW, but I'd like some simple "get comfortable" dives before I sign up. I had a really great instructor and felt very
comfortable during my check out dives, but there is nothing like repetition to get the basics of bouyancy control etc. down. I'd hate to be working on fundamentals in an advanced class.

Hmmmm... After reading a few posts it seems that this is a common problem with people new to the diving community. I'm surprised the local shops don't make a bigger effort to make it easy for new divers to continue diving. I'll bet they lose a lot of potential customers that don't know what to do for the next step.

Maybe they should offer really cheap rentals, organized fun trips etc. for like 3 months or so to get people hooked. Even better they could get you to sign up right at the end of your OW class.

You are very correct, Jeblis, that newly certified divers often find themselves alone with no-buddy with whom to dive. Your idea about the shops picking up the slack & offering "stay-in-touch" activities may well fall into the category of the LDS's "club."

Perhaps the key to staying in the loop is to take on the role of "social director" at your next class & get a list of everyone's contact info so you can invite familiar people to go to the first meeting with you. (I know it is tough to just show up alone to a pizza parlor where everyone else if friends & u r the stranger)

If we, the individual divers can take the steps to solving this essentially social need, the satisfaction of having a whole group of buddies will dovetail nicely with your increased training. You'd be surprised how many people want to dive with YOU but were too shy to make the first move!:wink:

art.chick

I totally agree. :) It is the responsibility of the individual to take the initiative and to take care of themself (underwater, finding buddies, etc.)

I was only suggesting a way for shops to lose less people after the initial OW dives. Getting people hooked means more $$ for them.

My LDS is in the process of puting up a "buddy board". Simply put, they will act as an informal club, put you name on a board with any restrictions or particulars, such as need a ride/have a vehicle, weekends only etc... They will also make the phone call, if you don't want your phone number on the board. It makes good business sense and will help new divers and experienced ones alike. The best part is it's free! :)

I don't see why all dive shops don't do this. Cost is nil, and getting customers in the door will be the result. Once in the door, that new widgit on the display would work out great for this or that, and they buy it!

Try approaching you LDS and pitch them on the idea, if they haven't though of it, I'm sure they'll "dive right in".

Back
Top Bottom