Best way to find a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeblis

Contributor
Reaction score
I took the OW course last year. Due to job changes I haven't been able to dive until now. Last week I finally decided to do a refresher course. I'm almost ready to buy my equipment,
but what scares me is finding people who will dive with me and that all that equipment will sit in storage most of the year.

Is it normally expected that you will show up with a buddy to organized dives? Most of my friends could care less about lake diving.

Will people be willing to dive with a beginner?

Any suggestions for finding a buddy(ies)?

Check out the Texas Swamp Diving Team, and the Texas Section of the Forums!!

On these boards you've got a better chance of finding a dive buddy in Texas, than most of us do in the rest of the world.

(although Ontario is catching up I think):wink:

Listen to Tavi, wise advise.

The Texas group on the board is great. I have to get down there and dive with them sometime.

Chad

Originally posted by Jeblis

Tavi, BTW I went to RIT in Rochester. How's the weather up there?

Today it was 90f and stickey!! They're calling for T-storms tonight and cooler tommoro.

I'm enjoying it :) For a while it seemed like it just didn't want to warm up this year!! :wink:

Did my OW for a Bahamas trip and then didn't dive for a while and had no gear...my girlfriend/dive buddy wasn't interested in anything non-Caribbean and 80 degrees. I decided I wasn't going to give it up and did the following:

- Found and joined 2 local dive clubs
- Dove with people from this board (it was a 3 hour drive, but worth it)
- Started hanging out at my LDS a lot more
- Enrolled in more classes at my LDS

Now I am diving all the time...without her, but I am diving :D

Good Luck! I may move to Dallas at the end of the year and I will dive with you!

--Eric

As I recall you need a dry suit just to be above water in Rochester. :crest:

Yeah I've pretty much decided that I need to find people who are already diving a lot. Most of my friends have taken a course, but are only interested in diving during their yearly trips to tropical locations.

Thanks for all the advice.

I found this website that helps hook up austin divers...:approve:

http://www.scuba-elist.com

Ya Know, I see divers take boat trips alone & tell the DM they need a Buddy, or they just shout out while others are gearing up. I agree with the guy who says to sign up for another class (not just repeating OW, but maybe a nice Search & Recovery or Deep Diving). I got a ton of buddies to choose from by showing up to help my old OW instructor (they always need someone to carry gear, & I got to buddy with students.) Now when I want to go out on a certain day, I just e-mail all of them & see who answers. Sometimes we end up with 3-4 people! :)

Originally posted by Jeblis
As I recall you need a dry suit just to be above water in Rochester. :crest:...

If you think Tavi needs a drysuit in Rochester, I hate to think what you think I need north of him (BTW - it's now wetsuit warmth)

I just got certified recently and I already have a dive scheduled with some divers from this site! It will be the first time meeting for some of us but it is kind of cool being as I already feel I know them in a way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom