Best Way to Clean your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaosparadigm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I dove in July, did my standard tank dunk clean of my mask and air dry before I flew home. I put the mask in Storage... went to dive in October and it was disgusting. I easily cleaned it in the Ocean and did 12 dives without issue. Afterwards, I did the tank dunk clean of my mask and air dry but checked it again at home before putting it in storage. The same disgusting stuff was starting to grow. So I did a baking soda, hot water and fresh lemon clean followed by clean water and air dry. 90% of the stuff was gone and didn't regrow. I did a second round of baking soda, hot water and fresh lemon which eliminated another 5%. The last 5% seems pretty persistent... granting I am diving again in 10 days so not so concerned for this next trip... but for the long term condition of the mask... is there an established best cleaning practice that I am not aware of?

Put it in a box with “Mountain Dew” for 24 hours (fully cover the mask) then rinse and dry well, before storage.

Put it in a box with “Mountain Dew” for 24 hours (fully cover the mask) then rinse and dry well, before storage.

Why is Mountain Dew in quotes? Is it Mountain Dew or something else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom