Best way to carry gear onto boat for 6 hour charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first questions would be, how big is the boat and how many people are also going to be diving from it?

Depending on the size of the boat you can make decisions on how to bring your gear on board. Ask the organisers what other divers do and if they have any preferences regarding bags / milk crates etc.

Third on checking with the op. A duffel that can fit in your space under the seat, and something of reasonable size for dry stuff in the cabin, is usually a good bet. Crates and tubs are not a sure bet when you don't know space or if they already have those. If you don't ask you're just guessing. You may learn they have a cooler you can stick food or drinks in as well, might be nice on a longish charter.

(To save duffel space you might just wear your BC from car to boat since you'll likely be putting it on a tank soon after boarding.)

My normal is a milk crate for wet gear under my tank and two ikea bags, one with a drysuit, one with undergarments. Cheap and easy.

Pretty much the same here. I have 1 milk crate for wet, drysuit in a bag, and one crate or bag below deck for dry stuff.

Tanks assembled before I leave the house, or at the very least before I leave the dock.

Added bonus if you're a fast runner, you can pickup milk crates at any local grocery store for free😳🤣.....(jk, I don't do that)

What are some of the better ways to pack my gear for ease of getting it onto the boat as well as access and stowage once on board?

Thanks!

Always pack your gear as space conscientious as possible. Any one of the dozens of mesh watersports bags for wet stuff will do and a 15-20L dry bag (that floats) to keep clothes, towel, watch, wallet.
I wouldnt be too overly concerned with the size of the boat unless it's a little 4-5 person RIB.
If you can comfortably wear your exposure suit onto the boat, do that as well.
The key is to remember everything, check everything and be prepared before you leave the dock.

Were can you secure milk crates now days? I picked up 2 from home depot but they are square. Would prefer traditional rectangle.

Throw your plate over your shoulder

007.JPG

grab a couple of mesh sacks and go

Were can you secure milk crates now days? I picked up 2 from home depot but they are square. Would prefer traditional rectangle.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I asked around and now it seems like anytime someone needs to get rid of one it winds up at my house... at some point I'll have to tell people to stop, lol.

You can purchase them on Amazon, 2 for $25. Or get a nice long one for $35.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220212-034051_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220212-034051_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 42
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom