Best Warm Water Glove Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ROXANNE has been closely involved in making arrangements for trips sponsored by SB to destinations all over the world, like the Invasion and Surge trips, so perhaps she could give us an idea about the use of gloves in warm-water destinations, and how frequently they are prohibited or discouraged in popular dive vacation sites?
Each location is different, but it is becoming more and more anti glove.

Hey all,

Newbie McNewberson here. I was wondering what the input was in the community for choosing gloves for warm water?

I see a lot of options out there, but I don't have any firsthand experience. I value dexterity, grip, and durability. (In that order)

Any experience or opinions to help make an informed choice would be great!

Many thanks!

-NN

When ever the water is warm enough for no gloves I use 3/4 finger sailing gloves. With fingers exposed dexterity is assured. The gloves are soft leather and designed to be wet and used in salt water. When handling rope or line palms are protected. Plus they are cheap compared to "diving" gloves. I picked my current pair on Ebay for $10.00+shipping.

If I'm going to be holding on to a line for safety stops/deco in warm water, my preference is the mechanics gloves from your local home supply store.

In places like Bonaire or the Caymans, gloves are not needed, so the prohibition on them is no big deal. However, if you have a legitimate medical condition, have your doctor give you a medical note requiring them and you're OK to wear them.

I have never been to a tropical destination that prohibits gloves. So far I have been diving in 10 such countries. Therefore I think it is not correct to claim this.
Cancun/Cozumel area does not allow gloves in parks. We never dive without a pair in our BCD pocket, kind of like we never dive without a knife, which is not allowed either. But we don't use either one unless things go South. We are reduced to going down lines by holding on with our elbows. Stupid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom