Best Warm Water Glove Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaveStack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

Newbie McNewberson here. I was wondering what the input was in the community for choosing gloves for warm water?

I see a lot of options out there, but I don't have any firsthand experience. I value dexterity, grip, and durability. (In that order)

Any experience or opinions to help make an informed choice would be great!

Many thanks!

-NN

One of the great things about warm water: no need for gloves! :)

Go Lowe's or Home Depot. Get the cut proof with rubberized palms like these on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Breathable-Protection-Construction-Multipurpose/dp/B071HBHGMT/ref=sr_1_15?s=hi&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1521495689&sr=1-15&keywords=cut+proof+gloves&refinements=p_36:1253528011,p_85:2470955011,p_72:1248909011
Don't waste money on gloves at a dive shop for warm water. These last longer than neoprene or the neoprene with "pleather" palms.
I wear glove on every dive. Having gotten nicked by metal in warm water and seen the junk on down lines, no way I'm diving without gloves.

Most warm water destinations don't allow gloves

I thought that may be the case, I'm sure one would try even harder to avoid touching sea life if they have no protection, so that makes sense. Thanks!

One of the great things about warm water: no need for gloves! :)

I know you don't NEED them, but my hands look like swiss cheese. I swear I could cut them on a ball bearing. If I'm allowed to wear them, I would like to.

Go Lowe's or Home Depot. Get the cut proof with rubberized palms like these on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Breathable-Protection-Construction-Multipurpose/dp/B071HBHGMT/ref=sr_1_15?s=hi&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1521495689&sr=1-15&keywords=cut+proof+gloves&refinements=p_36:1253528011,p_85:2470955011,p_72:1248909011
Don't waste money on gloves at a dive shop for warm water. These last longer than neoprene or the neoprene with "pleather" palms.
I wear glove on every dive. Having gotten nicked by metal in warm water and seen the junk on down lines, no way I'm diving without gloves.

Perfect. Thank you. This is the kind of thing I was looking for... one of those non-marketed solutions. haha.

Most warm water destinations don't allow gloves

Many do not allow gloves--true. A notable exception that occurs to me is the Florida Keys, where you may ascend from a wreck using a line that may be covered in barnacles and other sharp little stuff. I bought dive gloves after learning the hard way that gloves are desirable there. If I were to buy similar gloves again, I would be a little more savvy and buy cheap hardware store gloves as others have recommended.

I too like the ones with the rubberized palms and fingers and they only cost a couple of bucks. I'm allergic to latex so I go with the other kind (Nitrile or something). I buy them snug because they can loosen up a bit when wet. If I could wear latex I'd probably be getting them at the dollar store.

What Jim said. For about $5 a pair (less in quantity packs) you can buy Kevlar "trash handling" gloves. Kevlar has a distinct dull yellow color. You can't cut it without a very sharp blade and great effort. You also can't burn it. And it actually contracts slightly (instead of getting looser) when wet. The black rubber dots on the palm give you more grip, but you can put them on backwards (there's no left or right) if you don't want grippy dots.

So they look like dingy yellow gardening gloves, but they have very little insulating value, water will flow through them, and they absolutely will protect your hands from rusty metal, coral, whatever lurks in the sand. Easily fresh water washed and dried. Worth having one pair for diving, another couple in the house as work gloves.

Back
Top Bottom