Best vacation spots for completing your certification dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son (13 years old) and I did our certification dives (and pool training) in Cayman Brac with the Brac Scuba Shack. LOTS of nearby diving to chose from and excellent training and service by the folks at the Brac Scuba Shack. We did the theory part of the PADI course with elearning. We chose Cayman Brac over other destinations because of a combination of pricing, our desire for a non-touristy locale, and good diving and other activities.

.... complete my certification dives in a more tropical location... Cozumel, however I have also been told that the current can be strong at times and wouldn't be a good place for a beginner on their certification dives. Any recommendations?

Only the obvious one- when you contact the dive-op anywhere to do certfication dives, the very last thing they will do is take you into current or any other challenging condition.

I think that if Cozumel is the best price for your trip- go that way.

Only the obvious one- when you contact the dive-op anywhere to do certfication dives, the very last thing they will do is take you into current or any other challenging condition.

I think that if Cozumel is the best price for your trip- go that way.
Absolutely true. Most dive destinations have easier and more challenging dive sites, so what we do with learners and beginners is to take them to the easy sites :wink:

When people write to me asking about what dive sites I recommend for them here at my own diving paradise, my first questions are always about their dive experience. Then I make my recommendations accordingly, and of course I always take beginners and students to the easy sites.

If Cozumel ticks all the boxes in other respects, just make sure the dive operator is aware of your need for easy diving/training sites, and it's a pretty safe bet you'll be fine.

Definitely consider St. Croix. We're fairly easy to get to from almost anywhere in the U.S. with American Airlines connections via Miami or San Juan and Jet Blue via San Juan. We, St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures are an SSI Partner in Paradise shop so we can easily help you complete your certification in 80/80/80 conditions. (Over 80 degree water temperature, over 80 degree air temperature, and over 80' visibility). In full disclosure you'll note that I own the dive shop so I have an obvious vested interest in wooing you here but check out our reviews here on ScubaBoard or TripAdvisor and you'll see that we'll provide you with highly personalized service and make your training easy, safe, and of course FUN.

Try Key Largo...great place to get your certs, and it can be economical!

Be sure to ask your instructor to give you a Universal Referral Form, and make sure he is happy for a PADI instructor to sign off on the dives. Then you can complete your dives at almost any dive operator. Most PADI instructors will complete the dives for you, even though they are not strictly part of the program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom