Best Underwater Flashlight for Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd also recommend the Dorcy 2 and also the Coast Lenser D14

Amazon.com: Coast LED Lenser TT7456CP D14 Waterproof Flashlight, Neon Yellow: Home Improvement

available on Amazon for under $50. This one uses 4 AA cells and will work with NiMH.

Adam

While I have (and like) two Dorcy 180 Gen IIs, for a daytime crack/crevice light I'd prefer a switch to a twist-on/twist off like the Dorcy, as I only turn them on when looking at something. The Intova narrow beam is hard to beat for that, and you can get one narrow (day) and one wide beam (night) for $100 or less. Just be aware that there are two basic models that use different batteries, either CR123s or AAAs. There are threads in this forum on both the Dorcy and Intova.

I'd personally prefer a light that uses 3-4 AAs. I've also used the Princeton Tec Impact XL and UK MiniQ40 eLed Plus, which both use 4 AAs. The UK is brighter than the Impact, and I personally find it reasonable for night diving, but most people would probably want more.

Guy

I have Intova Wide Angle. I have mixed feeling abou it. The main issue is brightness. With wide angle beam, the light is not so useful in day time. At night, it is just adaqute. If I were to do it again, I will probably go with DorcyII 220 or Intova Narrow beam. But the place I dive in Monterey, viz is not the greatest.

Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : TUL-300 LED DIVE LIGHT [TUL-300]

We have these lights.. they have a switch, nice beam and not too heavy. Paid around $80 each at our LDS.

Disclaimer: we are warm water Caribbean divers only. To get an idea of the beam, check the night video (link in my sig). I used it as a primary/video light. Worked like a charm, just had to remember to lead a bit with the light so as not to get a shadow of the G10 diffuser in the shot.

I like the Light Cannons myself which can be bought used for around $100-$125. I recently had to send mine back to UK for repair and had to borrow a Princeton Tec (I think Shockwave) LED this past weekend. It had nothing on my LC which I couldn't wait to get back. There was no beam whatsoever, just bright light 20' all around me. I ended using my not as bright Intova (the old model) back up more because it had a much tighter beam.

That's what I like about the LC, it lights up the whole area around me just enough and then has a very tight beam that goes very far.

I like the Light Cannons myself which can be bought used for around $100-$125. I recently had to send mine back to UK for repair and had to borrow a Princeton Tec (I think Shockwave) LED this past weekend. It had nothing on my LC which I couldn't wait to get back. There was no beam whatsoever, just bright light 20' all around me. I ended using my not as bright Intova (the old model) back up more because it had a much tighter beam.

The light I borrowed I found out was not a Shockwave, it was the Princeton Tec Miniwave LED.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom