Best Underwater Flashlight for Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captnbrimster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I looked around but did not see a forum title close to this. I just want a flashlight that is not outrageously expensive, but works amazingly underwater. I dont want something big and bulky.

Links with prices to a place to purchase one would be great, as well as links to pictures of using the light underwater. Thanks

I just bought a Penetrater (made by Dorcy) 220 lumen model. It's seriously bright. I mistakenly looked into it when I powered it on one night and couldn't see much of anything for a few minutes. It throws a fairly focused beam at least 2-3 backyards down my street. The newer technology seems to be using Cree Q4 LED's for performance with reasonable battery life.

I haven't used it u/w yet but it far outperforms the UK SL4 eLed light that I used last year on night dives.

Dorcy International - Flashlights, LED Flashlights, Flashlight Batteries, Flashlight Bulbs

Piranha seems to have the best deal on them at $49.99.
LED Lighting Products Piranha Dive Manufacturing

There's a video of the output on the Dorcy Direct site also. Note the 2nd video is of the Dorcy 180.
http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-163-41-0467-220-lumen-dive-ii.aspx

There's a thread that discusses the light here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/317328-dorcy-dive-ii-220-lumen.html

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the Light Cannon from Unerwater Kinetics

Ask experienced local divers what they recommend. A small light that works great in the Caribbean might not be strong enough to pierce through murky local water. Cave divers will typically use very bright HID lights attached to a battery canister that cost $500 - $1,000. For a beginner recreational diver, a good quality dive light can be had for $100 - $150.

Lots of divers in my local area use the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED or the UK eLED (C8 or C4 version). If a stronger light is needed, then the UK Light Cannon is a good choice, but the Light Cannon is more expensive (approaching $200) and its bulb can be fragile as well as pricey to replace. Personally, I like LED lights because the bulb(s) last far longer than any HID, halogen, or xenon bulbs. The batteries in my LED lights seem to last longer, too.

Regardless of what you purchase for a primary dive light, make sure that you get a backup light as well. Once again, ask local divers what they'd recommend. I have an inexpensive Princeton Tec 40 ($15) that I take on every dive with me.

FYI, a headlamp is very useful to have for pre-dive setup and post-dive break down. I keep one in my car glove box that gets used before/after every night dive.

Hope this info helps...

FYI, a headlamp is very useful to have for pre-dive setup and post-dive break down. I keep one in my car glove box that gets used before/after every night dive.

Hope this info helps...

Now there's a useful hint. I have a good LED headlamp. I use it when I'm under the Jeep doing trail repairs in rotten light. Never occured to me to take it out of the Jeep and toss it in my dive bag.

If your looking for an inexpensive light. the penetrator 220 from Piranaha above is a great light for the price. It will be adequate to see in some darker places and follow a line etc.. But if you want a light you can really see with go with a 10-21watt HID light. Huge difference. There is aonther member currently selling 21watt HID's home made for about 6-700. You can also find the 10wattHID/Led in the 500 range New or even used little cheaper. My personal opinon is thats the way to go. It really depends on what your looking to do with the light

If your looking for just to go through then any of the above will probably work for you

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-lights/329164-21w-hid-canister-light-sale.html

For me I dive with a Halcyon Explorer 21wattHID
Explorer13_21w.jpg

Less then 100.00 the penetrator 220 is a great light and you can get 2 of them for under a 100 so you will have primary and back-up 2 of my dive buddies use them and they are nice lights and brighter then anything in that price that I have seen

Piranha Dive Manufacturing

2193-2716.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom