Best type of Pony Tank setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
I believe in informed choice and feel a diver is better served by making their own informed choices about their configuration
... and that is why folks like Mike and Uncle Pug give out good information and provoke thoughtful consideration so that folks can make informed decisions instead of just throwing a pony at their paranioa.

Uncle Pug:
Pony Bottles can be psychological enablements for the untrained, unskilled, unthinking, unprepared and/or unsure.

Spare Air provides the same in a much smaller package.

Would not a set of doubles without proper training and practice fit the same bill?

Mike

DA Aquamaster:
... with independent doubels as I you then do not have to worry about shutting down the frozen reg - it's nice to do it but not neccesary...
I realize my understanding is limited, but I thought if a reg is freeze-flowing (in the words of Rick Inman) and you are able to shut it down, most likely it will shortly thaw out and the problem will be resolved? Manifolded or independant I would want to shut it down and preserve what air I have left. If all else fails, at least I could "throttle" the remainder?

MikeS:
Would not a set of doubles without proper training and practice fit the same bill?
I've see that... doubles on a dive where a single would do just fine for two dives with a decent SAC... but not only were doubles being used... they had pony bottles strapped between them as well. For all I know they had a Spare Air Bandolier under all the stuff as well.

And the dive site was a rock jetty 100 yards long with a max depth of 70'. :D

I use doubles where they're not "required" all the time.

I prefer them - you don't need to set up more than once. Its extremely convenient on a boat in particular for two or three NST dives, in that you kit up once and then just step into the harness and go.

If you're going to carry a pony, make it at least a 19cf and sling it. That way you have a decent shot at making an ascent from 100', with a safety stop, and not running out of gas a second time if you need it.

A friend of mine nearly bought it this summer relying on a smaller (9cf) pony - he ran out a second time at about 60' on the way up and fortunately for him there was another diver on the ascent line making a stop he could obtain gas from. If not, his "blow and go" ascent from 130' probably would have earned him a nice chamber ride at best.

Genesis:
I use doubles where they're not "required" all the time.
Me too, but my excuse for doing so is to get as proficient with them as I can so they are no big deal on the dives where they are "required." I don't strap a pony between them, although more than once I was wishing I had a pony to carry them for me :D

I hear that one. My LP72 sets aren't too bad (about 75lbs full of Nitrox) but the double HP100s are a bear (about 20lbs heavier.) I don't own any LP104s and don't want any either after what I've seen with the HP100s!

The best way to move 'em is to hook 'em up on your harness and put it on - carrying them is a BEAST of a job. I have a hand-truck that I use for moving them around the garage and such while filling them.

Genesis:
The best way to move 'em is to hook 'em up on your harness and put it on - carrying them is a BEAST of a job. I have a hand-truck that I use for moving them around the garage and such while filling them.
Yep - that's how I carry 'em, too. The hand truck isn't very sure-footed on rocky or sandy beaches. There is one shore site I occassionally use in the summertime that I have seriously considered hiring some young sherpa type to lug my rig for me!

Uncle Pug:
I'll see if I can dig up my baker's dozen potential downsides to carrying a pony bottle....

Oh, here they are! :D

1) Pony bottles add an extra piece of equipment to the diver's kit that needs to be fastidiously maintained to remain optimally functional.

2) Pony bottles add an extra training element as divers should be completely familiar with pony bottle carrying, deployment and usage as well as proper gas management.

3) Pony bottles need to be used frequently so that the diver remains proficient in deployment and use.

4) Pony bottles add an extra element of task loading in an emergency in that they require attention for deployment and usage.

5) Pony bottles if front mounted involve all of the above plus pose extra points of entaglement/snagging.

6) Pony bottles if back mounted pose extra points of entanglement/snagging that cannot always be undone successfully without help.

7) Pony bottles if back mounted valve up must be turned on prior to the dive and left on during the dive. It is possible for a leak or free flowing pony reg to empty or partially deplete the pony bottle.

8) Pony Bottles if back mounted do not allow confirmation of supply without the addition of an extra spg to the kit.

9) Pony bottles if back mounted valve down can be turned on when needed but the air supply cannot be confirmed unless an extra spg is added to the kit.

10) Pony bottles if relied upon as bailout can influence divers to make poor choices and extend dives beyond prudence or to even ignore gas planning altogether and simply rely upon the pony.

11) Pony bottles require additional set up steps that can provide opportunity for mistakes to be made... ie they complicate the rig.

12) Pony bottles can affect trim and require additional weighting adjustments, add drag and cause increased air consumption.

13) Pony bottles involve more cost not only for initial purchase but also for regulator maint. and tank vips/hydros.

Pug

I am new o/w recreational diver and never go deeper than 100ft (yet). An air2 setup with a 19 cuft pony seems like it would be a perfect setup for me. I dont have 13 reasons, just one.

Sincerely

Peter

Back
Top Bottom