Best time to dive Socorro (Revillagigedo). What is November like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-gee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear Friends and Community
I have had a lifelong dream to dive either Cocos or Socorro, and it seems this year I can make it. My holiday time is extremely limited though, and I am targeting Socorro in Nov or Dec. All Cocos liveaboards are full. I am tentatively booked for Socorro November 19/27.
I have researched extensively and still cannot come to the conclusion of whether I should wait for next year Feb/March. I know whale season isn't going to be on in November, but will all other pelagic life be at least possible to find? Everyone speaks of sharks, mantas, dolphins, whales there. I know whales wont be around. but looking at online videos, it seems that in November there aren't many sharks either. SO it would be theoretically mostly dolphins and mantas. Do you confirm this?! Im wondering if I should just wait for Feb/March and get sharks and whales as well..thoughts?!
thank you!
Luis

I have never been, but it is on my list. This is wildlife calendar from the Nautilus website
cal-socorro1.jpg

And temps/vis
cal-socorro2.jpg

Warmer the water, the less sharks at recreational depths. We were there in February and lots of whales, one with baby, and decent sharks. Same group, without me, went the next year in November. More mantas, a whaleshark and less sharks. Consensus, it depends on what you want to see.

Rob

@Scubada or @Wookie might be able to chime in and give an opinion or suggestion. The Socorros are on my hit list and I will likely be there on the Nautilus Belle Amie in February 2019.

I was there in November 2008, so the same time of year that you are looking at.

On that trip I saw (among other things):
White Tip Reef Sharks,
Silver Tip Sharks,
Dusky Sharks,
Galapagos Sharks
Great Hammerheads (both individually and a school of 30-50 sharks),
A Whale Shark, and
Many Manta Rays.

Most of the sharks were around Roca Partida where it was not uncommon to see 5 or more species each dive. The Manta Rays were at a few locations.

Hope that helps.

In late November 2012 we saw about 5 or 6 species of sharks including whale sharks, plus False Killer Whales, and dolphins in addition to the mantas. Water was warmer than we expected so my 5 mm suit was plenty. Great time to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom