Best time to dive Socorro (Revillagigedo). What is November like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say Anytime should good for Socorro. The only thing you'll miss in november are humpbacks. You rarely see them underwater anyway. Just mostly hear them sing. A DM on Maui with over 5000 dives said he had seen them on a dive twice.

I've been early season to Socorros twice, not November, but early December once, late December the other. Saw all shark species including schooling hammerheads..i would say sightings should be perhaps not as great/close/shallow as they would in later months when water is cooler but you shouldn't be disappointed. Trade off in going early is water should be quite warm...i want to say we still had as high as 80 one trip and, you'd have your best shot at whale sharks that time of year, even though Socorros aren't particularly known for them (saw a whale shark one of those two trips). If you get unlucky with a really late season hurricane that could mess up your viz at Socorro and San Benedicto (Roca Partido wasn't affected)..that happened to me once on an early June trip with a freak early season hurricane

I'm thinking of going there on last week of Dec 2018. Upon checking which LOB available, there are:
Solmar V
Nautilus Explorer
Rocio Del Mar
Southern Sport
Nautilus Belle Amie
Quino El Guardian
Nautilus Under Sea
MV Valentina

Which one should I pick?

I'm thinking of going there on last week of Dec 2018. Upon checking which LOB available, there are:
Solmar V
Nautilus Explorer
Rocio Del Mar
Southern Sport
Nautilus Belle Amie
Quino El Guardian
Nautilus Under Sea
MV Valentina

Which one should I pick?
I have been there on the Solmar V.

The boat was gorgeous. It had a mahogany interior with brass fittings and frosted glass accents. The rooms however were TINY! There was not enough room for more than one person to stand up at a time, so if you weren't the first one up, then you had to wait till the other person was out of the room. While there are heads in every cabin, the toilet is in the shower. You literally have to straddle the toilet when you have a shower. There is a small sink in the cabin. Storage space was limited to a few "cubby holes" that ran alongside your bunk.

I had a great trip, but if I were to do it again, I think that I would see what a different boat had to offer (probably the Nautilus Belle Amie -- I have heard nothing but good about the Belle Amie).

If I was asked if I would recommend it, I would do so conditionally. It was a great trip, as far as the diving goes, but be aware of what to expect with your cabin. Go in to it with your eyes open.

I have been there on the Solmar V.

The boat was gorgeous. It had a mahogany interior with brass fittings and frosted glass accents. The rooms however were TINY! There was not enough room for more than one person to stand up at a time, so if you weren't the first one up, then you had to wait till the other person was out of the room. While there are heads in every cabin, the toilet is in the shower. You literally have to straddle the toilet when you have a shower. There is a small sink in the cabin. Storage space was limited to a few "cubby holes" that ran alongside your bunk.

I had a great trip, but if I were to do it again, I think that I would see what a different boat had to offer (probably the Nautilus Belle Amie -- I have heard nothing but good about the Belle Amie).

If I was asked if I would recommend it, I would do so conditionally. It was a great trip, as far as the diving goes, but be aware of what to expect with your cabin. Go in to it with your eyes open.

That's a great input. Thanks!

I heard about Solmar V small cabin design with bunk type beds. I don't mind to sleep in a bunk for a day or two, but not for a week. One diver told me that Solmar V was used to be a fishing boat being converted into LOB. That's why it has tiny cabins.

I can highly recommend the Rocio Del Mar. Great boat, crew, and food. It's not a fancy boat but we loved it. So much so I have it booked it for two more trips this year to the Sea of Cortez and back to the Socorro Islands in November of 2019. May even pull the trigger to go again in 2020 because I have more folks wanting to go in 2019 that the boat holds.

Well, it finally comes down to the timing. I'd like to go between Christmas & New Year because I can take 2 days of vacation & get 11 days off (Dec 22, 2018 - Jan 1, 2019). Upon checking out their schedules, here are what I found:
Solmar V: 12/27-1/4 available
Nautilus Explorer: 12/16-24 available
Rocio Del Mar: full
Nautilus Belle Amie: 12/20-29 available
Quino El Guardian: 12/7-16 available
Nautilus Under Sea: 12/22-30 available
MV Valentina: full

So, Nautilus Under Sea, here I come!

thanks a lot for the replies! I eventually decided on Socorro with the Rocio del Mar, mid November!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom